Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Control Wheel Shaft removal from wheel and replacement?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Control Wheel Shaft removal from wheel and replacement?

The shafts on the control wheels for my PA-22/20 restoration project are rusty. I am thinking they would not be that hard to replace but not sure how they are attached to the control wheels. Does anyone know if they are soldered, or how they are attached and has anyone removed and replaced them or know someplace that does this?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Control Wheel Shaft removal from wheel and replacement?

It is a shrink fit with a taper pin. The aluminum yoke was heated and the steel tube chilled. A steel tapered pin was driven in at the flange on the back side of the yoke. Drove the taper pin out with an arbor press. Heated the aluminum with a propane torch while the steel tube was immersed in a bucket of ice. Secured the tube and pounded the yoke off.

Not without damage but,...with hindsight..I think a chrome or nickel sleeve of a larger OD and the same OD as the old tube for an ID that is shrink fit. That is taking another steel tube and heating it in the oven. Then put the yoke assembly in freezer. Slide the hot repair tube over corroded tube, let cool. Back Drill holes for universal joint. Ream out phenolic bushing.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting. I may see what I can come up with. Perhaps drilling or pushing out the pin, (is it hardened steel?) then cutting the tube off near the yoke and getting it out and replacing the tube by heating the yoke and putting the tube in the freezer.

Post Thanks / Like

Here is some pictures of a pin ground flush. I think the pin they may have used has a AN number and is the same type as used on the PA 28 cherokee, warrior, etc. There is a lot of taper pin removal tools as well as tricks and processes used for the universal joint replacement on the PA 28 series.

https://www.barteltaviation.com/pdf/...Inspection.pdf

https://www.aircraftsupply.com/tool107.html You could drill, tap and install a bolt with the head cut off to use the tool in this site.

Todd
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Vagabondblues; 07-25-2020 at 02:58 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the replies. It certainly seems doable. When I take them out I will have to take some measurements and proceed carefully.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

JonW had another way of removing the pin that he described in this thread. https://www.shortwingpipers.org/foru...-removal/page3

Post Thanks / Like

The pin JW was talking about was a roll pin. The pins on my Pacer looked like threaded taper pins that were ground off flush after being set. I have seen it a lot on this site where Piper used different processes over time. Is it possible that Piper used a roll pin on later models?

I only wish that mine were roll pins.

Todd
    Last edited by Vagabondblues; 07-26-2020 at 05:09 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I had a good laugh at your post prior to the edit. I thought the exact same thing. Will have to look at the yokes I have in the shop and see how they are installed. I remember etting a field approval for installing Chrerokee yokes and seems like I remember some srt of rivets and replacing with bolts but I will have to look up the 337.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RRHall View Post
    The shafts on the control wheels for my PA-22/20 restoration project are rusty. I am thinking they would not be that hard to replace but not sure how they are attached to the control wheels. Does anyone know if they are soldered, or how they are attached and has anyone removed and replaced them or know someplace that does this?
    Not sure if this the right place to ask, but here goes. My copilot side yoke on my Colt wobbles slightly on the shaft. A visual inspection shows no mechanical attachment at lower shaft/yoke junction. Upper shaft/yoke, hard to see, appears to be a slotted screw. Does anyone have a cross section drawing of what was original?

Jerry

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CTJER View Post
    Not sure if this the right place to ask, but here goes. My copilot side yoke on my Colt wobbles slightly on the shaft. A visual inspection shows no mechanical attachment at lower shaft/yoke junction. Upper shaft/yoke, hard to see, appears to be a slotted screw. Does anyone have a cross section drawing of what was original?

Jerry
    Picture? Sounds like someone has done made a Bubba fix.