Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1500 rpm why?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: 1500 rpm why?

Sounds like my Technic is completely wrong, or completely different. When I have the numbers in my strut V on downwind I cut power. Completely. Put in One notch of flaps and set trim at 80 . One more notch of flaps on base brings me to 70 . By the time Im over the fence Im at 60-65 . Then I try to make my spot without adding any power. Sometimes I may have to kick it back up to 1200. Full Flaps and sometimes I even have to slip at that .

Post Thanks / Like

I think it's just an easy number to remember that can be applied to multiple small GA aircraft. But as with anything, you just give it more or less as needed. Personally, I chop the power when abeam my landing point and glide her in. That seems to work the best for me. But there are times when I need to give her some throttle to hit my mark. I find that all the tailwheel airplanes I've flown (Pacer, Cub, Stearman) are done mostly by feel rather than hitting specific RPMs and speeds like a C172 or Warrior.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sierrasplitter View Post
    Sounds like my Technic is completely wrong, or completely different. When I have the numbers in my strut V on downwind I cut power. Completely. Put in One notch of flaps and set trim at 80 . One more notch of flaps on base brings me to 70 . By the time Im over the fence Im at 60-65 . Then I try to make my spot without adding any power. Sometimes I may have to kick it back up to 1200. Full Flaps and sometimes I even have to slip at that .

I wouldn’t say wrong. If it is working, it is “right” for you. And if it ain’t broken don’t fix it.

I am an engineer, so it’s a fair criticism that I may be overthinking it. It just gives me something to do when I go out to try and improve rather than blindly rely on some recipe someone told me. Thanks to everyone for your comments.

Post Thanks / Like

If it works for you, you don’t have it wrong. Stick with what works.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree, Not wrong Ray.

Each new airplane, I take it up and stall it in a few configurations, especially landing, with power off to find out what she does and at what indicated speed so I know what to expect during landing.

And I’ve flown a few and they’re all different! My plane stalls with almost no indicated airspeed with power on.

One thing that I maintain in common is that I try not to ever put the aircraft in position where it won’t make the runway if the engine quits at ANY point. That means, long, extended downwinds, or even a stabilized 3° glide slope is not a normal approach for me in a Pacer.

All that being said, that’s a matter of preference after 37 years of flying, so your mileage may vary. And certainly there are circumstances where a flatter approach can’t be avoided.

In my 135 hp Pacer, it’s typically about 1900 rpm on downwind to get to the top of the white arc for flaps. Then base is about 1300-1400 rpm to maintain 75, turning final, reduce just a bit to maintain 70 until landing is assured then full flaps and idle to touchdown. Most of my landings are wheel landings because I think the tail has more authority in the air and I think it’s easier on the tw assembly to lower it slowly to the runway. Again, just personal preference.

If I needed to be short, I’d fly a flat approach with power at about 55 and three point but even with my normal procedure and wheelies, I’m clear of the runway at the 900 ft mark.

Long story short, (too late!) Use what you need and try to do it similarly each time.

Post Thanks / Like

I’d say that my technique is similar, most of the time. Works when at uncontrolled airports when you have the pattern to yourself... like my home airport.
    But... I also try to learn and practice using different approaches. Maybe someone else in pattern and you have to extend downwind. Maybe controlled field and you are directed to enter on base with no downwind. Occasionally will fly into an airport with very very active skydiving.... need to sometimes use non standard pattern.
    Key for me is learning various techniques and approach views.... and learning the feel of your airplane.

Bryan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ysifly2 View Post
    I’d say that my technique is similar, most of the time. Works when at uncontrolled airports when you have the pattern to yourself... like my home airport.
    But... I also try to learn and practice using different approaches. Maybe someone else in pattern and you have to extend downwind. Maybe controlled field and you are directed to enter on base with no downwind. Occasionally will fly into an airport with very very active skydiving.... need to sometimes use non standard pattern.
    Key for me is learning various techniques and approach views.... and learning the feel of your airplane.

Bryan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    That's my approach. I dont want to dredge up some of the old eternal arguments, but I think it is wise to have as many tools in my bag as I can. If you are good mechanic, it always pays to have the right tool for the job. I think that applies to pilots too.

Post Thanks / Like

what works for pavement pounders wont work for those who are hitting small strips with tight tall trees etc. Every approach is different and all are fluid. I am like Steve and fly the approach the situation calls for and its solely by sight and feel. Why bother looking down when the place you want to hit is out in front of you and the sight picture will tell you what you need to do. 2 days ago I was hitting a strip that comes in over a gorge and I was anywhere from a dead idle to full power to stop the sinkers and lock to lock on the yoke.

Post Thanks / Like

You need to have more than one arrow in your quiver and you acquire those in more or less a certain order.

Super Cub Super Cruiser, Citabria or short wing Piper, my default has always been power off abeam the touch down point and then adjust the rest of the downwind leg, the base leg and final leg as needed to make your landing spot. In terms of private and commercial maneuvers it's an accuracy landing with +/- 200' and -0 /+200' criteria respectively. It works great on uncontrolled airports, when the pattern isn't chock full of aircraft.

It doesn't work so hot when you've got people flying 2-3 miles downwind before turning base, or when you have a air traffic controller calling your base leg. IN that case you need to carry some power on your base and final legs to make up for the now unnecessarily long legs you are forced to fly.

That said, in each airplane I've flown, I also initially landed them with some power on until I got to know the airplane. Carrying some power and some excess speed extends the time in the round out and flare and gives you more time to develop a feel for where the wheels are relative to the runway. You can also practice a low pass with the wheels 6" off the runway, and when you get good at that you can Bob Hoover it down the runway, placing 1 wheel and then the other wheel on the runway, while keeping the airplane tracking straight with the rudder. It'll greatly speed the process of getting consistently good cross wind wheel landings. Let's call all that Phase 1.

Phase 2 is to do an approach at the same speed (let's say 80 mph) all the way to the flare, but power off from the perch position abeam the numbers, and then use that extra speed/energy in the flare to give you more time to position it just above the runway for a full stall landing or to fly it onto the runway in a wheel landing.

Phase 3 is learning to do the power off approach at 70 mph slowing to 60-65 mph over the fence, which still lets you do either a full stall or wheel landing, but gives you a lot less time to get everything just right, especially with full flaps.

Phase 4 is carrying some power and hanging it on the prop on short final just short of a stall so that you can drop it right on the target when you need maximum short field performance.

Eventually you should be able to do all of the above when and where required.

Other than the power off approaches, I couldn't tell you how much power I carry in a given situation as it will vary with the wind, the temp, whether air is rising or descending on final, the load in the aircraft, etc. Quite frankly I'm not looking at the rpm, I'm looking at my touchdown point to see where I'm coming up long or short relative to that and slipping, or when needed adding power to hit that touchdown point.
    Last edited by LarryV; 10-10-2020 at 09:23 PM.