Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need thread info ASAP, fuel fittings

Post Thanks / Like

Default Need thread info ASAP, fuel fittings

Hi yíall. I am about to start my annual on Sunday and in the process we are installing a Steveís gascolator. For what ever reason, the old 45í elbow NPT to fuel line flare fitting will not thread into Steveís gascolator. Itís not galled up, and Iím using thread sealant, and it will not go in more than 3/4 turn and is starting to gall up the gascolator threads. Not sure why, but it has to be a different size fitting. Makes no sense because it came off the old gascolator. Doesnít make sense, but it doesnít fit. So I need to rush order the fitting from spruce and I need to confirm the threads of the fitting so that I get it right and can rush the part. I believe its 1/4 NPT to 3/8 hose? AN823-6D seems to be the one. Any chance someone can help me confirm this is the right part? Thanks in advance.

brett

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Need thread info ASAP, fuel fittings

Brett,

Just Installed One this week. Thatís correct. They use a -6

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks sooo much!!! Part is ordered

Post Thanks / Like

Default Need thread info ASAP, fuel fittings

After drilling out the mount, make sure you test fit it. Bolt the top in and make sure you can get the bowl onto the top.

My bracket was bent and I didnít realize it till after I reinstalled the mount. Had to take it back off again and mess with it.

Just my 2 cents

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, ditto what siouxpilot said. Test fit BOTH mounting screws to ensure you can get the Steve's Gascolator bowl back up & into its bayonet mount. I had to slightly enlarge one of the of the two mounting screw holes before I could get the bowl back up high enough to be able to twist it into lock position.

Before that, the top was just a teensy bit too high to be able to get the bowl into position. I could pop the bowl in, feel it slip up past the o-ring, but it absolutely would NOT twist to lock.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks fellas. I had to do the same. I sure appreciate the help!

Post Thanks / Like

Schooley, sounds like you're making progress! I hit a stumbling block; "too much vibration," my A&P said. Prop is now in CT being overhauled....

Oh, well, back to the boat, the house, the motorcycles, the firewood....etc. etc. Plenty to do.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes! Slowly but surely. Learning a ton in the process, soo much fun! I sure appreciate this site and all of you that can put up with us new folks as we learn.
    Good luck with your vibration issues. Hopefully my vibration issues will be gone after all this is said and done!

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with others, drill open the holes in the bracket for lots of slop, then install a thin, large pattern washer and lockwasher with the bolt. It's a tough job installing the inboard mounting screw with that bracket, a bolt is easier to tighten using ignition wrench, than the philips screw that was probably original with old gascolator.
    If your fuel hose doesn't have firesleeve on it, now is the time to add that. I have seen many fuel hoses that did not!

Sent from my SM-G955U using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app
    Glen Geller
    1955 PA22-150 "One For Papa!"

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks glen. Nope, no fire sleeve. Gotta order that now. Got a recommendation on what to use from spruce?