Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need thread info ASAP, fuel fittings

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Need thread info ASAP, fuel fittings

I disagree, not enough to put me to sleep!

A good article (thanks!), which seemed clear enough to me -- and I did notice the resemblance between my fuel line and the pics of Aeroquip 303; they appear identical. So it seems I need to up the fire resistance there, or at the least that would be a very good idea.

Next question: Can Stratoflex fire sleeve be applied over Aeroquip 303? What are my options here? Please educate me!

Again, I'm just trying to do it right for my poor, old, neglected, abused, etc. bird.....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by walt.buskey View Post
    Not sure what you mean, Steve -- there is a 45 at the carb; fuel line is pretty much back where it originally was. Here's a different angle, taken from before the Steve's Gascolator install...

Attachment 17552
    When I saw this photo, I must admit I thought 'aaarrrgghh'!
    Apart from the fire sleeve discussion, I thought that the fuel line should run 'uphill' from the filter to the carb ie the filter needs to be the low point. As it appears, the flex line loops down lower than the filter, and so becomes an accumulation point (yes, there are filters to stop stuff from getting there, but--). Personally, I'd be juggling elbows and tube length to achieve an uphill run, but then again, that could just me being anal -- because I can!
    Mine is complicated by the LE tuned exhaust system, and I installed a small heat shield on one of the pipes to back up the fire sleeve, but it was achievable.

Post Thanks / Like

That's a very good point, I hadn't thought of that. That loop is, in fact, the lowest point before the carb. Any suggestions out there?

I will say that I've not experienced any issues with that, though I'l also admit my experience so far is very limited.

Post Thanks / Like

Why dont you change the fitting angle and have the hose strait out not down?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by SMO22; 08-02-2020 at 09:11 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Damn, mine loops down too. I will have to get a new, shorter hose to make it run like the diagram. Oh well, next annual I will make the change. At least it will be fire sleeved, and now have 2 Steve’s gascolators so much improvement has been made.

Post Thanks / Like

Put the 45 elbow in the gascolator, 90 in the carb... point the 45 to the pilot side, 90 forward.. loop the fuel line in a flat “plain” with heat shield on it... keeps good slack for vibration and also keeps the line up so it does not become a low point..

Brian

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Brian, great minds think alike! Exactly what I was considering, as I'm pretty sure that loop is a good thing there for minimizing the effects of vibration....Not that my O-320 vibrates or anything... Just make the loop horizontal instead of vertical. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting discussion. This never occurred to me? Mine runs in a down loop as well. What size flex line would be needed to run a horizontal loop? Also must consider working around the carb heat cable.

Jan

Post Thanks / Like

3/8 fuel line... This is a Super Cub but shows the basic install.. This one has a straight fitting to the carb. A 45 also works it just moves the line a bit farther forward and the loop “arc” is bigger..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

DSC07542.jpeg
    I've just removed all the cowls, so I took this of my installation. I used 45* elbows at the filter and at the carb inlet to get the angle I wanted.