Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thread: Engine vibration -- continued

Post Thanks / Like

Default Engine vibration -- continued

So I just got word today from Aerotec Engines, Ltd.... My O-320's done and about to be tested. As expected, a bit over $30K, this being the continuation of tracking down excessive vibration from a year ago, more or less -- finally pulling the engine and learning that the prop flange on the end of the crankshaft was tweaked, most likely due to a prop strike many years ago. Engine still ran great, but apparently was slowly shaking the plane apart.

So on to a new chapter -- currently refurbishing all firewall-forward areas before re-installing engine mount & nose wheel frames in getting ready to re-install engine. Never a dull moment; maybe THIS will be the summer that 57A gets back in the air.

DSC09630.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Engine vibration -- continued

So what cost so much, a new crankshaft?

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, that was a big part of it. Original proposal shows a new TCM Prime crankshaft @ $4900, with lots of other new parts -- they found a lot of internal corrosion & pitting, so also: new camshaft, new tappets, four new Lycoming cylinders, plus a bunch of other "little" stuff. Parts total came to over $20K. Sounds a whole lot like a brand-new engine....

Having zero experience in this area, maybe I should have done things differently, but it is what it is and I'll go with it. In any case, I sincerely hope the *#*# vibration is GONE!

Post Thanks / Like

sounds like you have a whole new engine built around your rebuilt rods...LOL

Post Thanks / Like

So the engine should be coming back soon (according to USPS tracking, they got the Priority Mail check today -- after 10 days), engine mount frame and nose gear frame are waiting to be powder-coated, after a very close inspection of all tubes, nose gear fork's paint is now dry, and -- the very first bolt of the re-assembly is now going in and firewall now has a couple coats of Eastwood 1400F aluminum paint.

Hopefully, the re-assmbling process (since I went through the whole baffles/seals thing last year) will go smoothly... but we all know how hopes often don't translate into reality! In any case, the re-building process has now started, albeit slowly. Hopefully, 57A will again be airworthy this summer.

DSC09683.jpg DSC09684.jpg DSC09686.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Walt
    you do NICE work

shane-o

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, I do try hard! Also, good lessons from Steve... wow... was it really eight years ago?

Post Thanks / Like

So... masking tape & paper removed, all previously removed fittings re-installed, overspray (yep, there was some) removed, some additional cleaning, and I'm going to have to cut into the inside firewall insulation to find that &^#!$ little screw that loosened up on one of the cabin heat box cable adel clamps -- GRRR! But, overall I'm pleased with the look. Should look even better when the powder-coated engine & nose wheel frames get mounted back on.

DSC09694.jpg DSC09695.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

That looks really nice, Walt.