Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FL to ME Trip Report

Post Thanks / Like

Default FL to ME Trip Report

Thought I'd post this...

Flew from Titusville FL to Portland ME to visit my youngest son and his girlfriend for the weekend. Wife had to work so stayed home. This would be my first long cross-country by myself. I'd previously flown from MT to CA and CA to FL but both times were with an instructor and pilot friend respectively.

Left KTIX at 2:30pm on 7/23 and stopped after only 1.7 hours in Brunswick GA (KBQK) because my new fuel flow gauge said I'd burned through 22 gallons of gas. My 64 year old fuel level indicator gauges disagreed, saying more than half full total, but I thought I'd better stop. It took only 14.1 gallons to top up. Decided to ignore the new fuel flow monitor rest of flight. Wx was cloudy and overcast most of the way. Climbed to 7,500 feet when I could to overfly all the Class C in the way. I had a southwesterly cross wind which took my airspeed from 108 mph to 132 mph a lot of the way.

Stopped in Elizabethtown NC (KEYF) for the night and gassed up, took 19.06 gallons. Stayed at the Cape Fear Vineyard and Winery where they have little cottages on a lake. It's just around the corner from the airport maybe a mile as you drive. Nice place. On site restaurant had very good food. Had a beer, took pics of the scenery. Plugged in all my lithium batteries that drive tablet, phone, D3 Pocket Panel, Flightbox, etc. to charge up. Slept 9 hours straight.

Next morning, 7/24 preflight added 1 qt oil, flew to St. Mary's Rgnl. (2W6) and fought Wx the whole way. Flew up and skirted the DC TFR SFRA, crossed the Potomac, but Wx finally shut me down. Tried 9,000' to 600', but couldn't find a hole through it, so landed in Ocean Co./California MD. (KMJX), a bit below minimums. Put in 21.5 gallons to top up in the rain. It was raining pretty hard. Waited 2 hours until about 5 pm when the forcast to the north showed VFR conditions. Nice people there at the FBO were going to set me up with car and hotel, but my wife called and said it was clearing to the north and get back in the air and make some time. It was 5pm. I had to pick my way through the clouds for a bit but in 20 minutes it cleared up. Crossed the Chesapeake Bay, Delaware Bay, Long Island and Long Island Sound. There were two TFR's there around Boston Mass that put me further out over the water to the East than I preferred, but I climbed up to 10,000 feet in case I had to glide back to land...then over NH and finally into ME. Nice evening fight northeast. TP ran like a swiss watch the whole way.

Biddeford ME (B19) was closed (XXX) when I flew over. My son lives in Saco ME so I was trying to be close. Should have read the airport info...the runway was dug up and removed. Big X's on it. Dirt.

So, I went to Portland (KPWM - class C) where I knew they'd be open for business. Landed at 8pm or so. Covered the plane with my new Bruce's lightweight travel cover and told the boys at MAC Jets to gas it up and park me up front with the jets. They did. 26.1 gallons at $5.50 a gallon and $20.00 a nite parking, but the nice FBO lady only charged me one night for the weekend.

Had a great weekend with my kid. Stayed at his little home, and met his girlfriends family. Rode dirt bikes, shot 9 holes of golf with ugly sticks, went fishing, BBQ, walked on the beach, caught up on life, etc. Smiled and laughed a lot. Talked some politics, etc., but didn't linger there. He's an Aerospace eng. like me, and his girl is Env. Sci. eng. and we talked material science and safety processes, hypersonics, riding motorcycles, flying planes, pet management, life...etc. It was very good being there.

Woke Monday 7/27, to rain - time for me to go home and for kids to go to work. Preflight. Added 1 qt oil. Left Portland as it was clearing somewhat at 8:50am.

Flew to Old Bridge NJ. (3N6) Stopped with promise of $3.89 gas. Not. FBO mgr showed up as I shut down in front of the self serve pumps and said the card reader didn't work. Mgr. said he'd sell me gas for cash or check. I said cash, and he used his own credit card in the reader. 24.8 gallons @ $4.50/gal. Nice guy tho. Said he had a '58 TP for 30 years. Recovered it twice. Thought mine was freshly recovered. I said, "no, a little rejuvenation on a 25 year old recover job".

Flew to Rocky Mount-Wilson Rgnl. (KRWI) and ran the right tank dry on route. That will wake you up. Headwinds were quartering from the right at 250 to 270 while my heading was around 230 degrees. Airspeed was around 104 and ground speed (GPS) the same. Hard time holding heading. Nice guy in cart picked me up and took me to FBO and gave me a water. It took 29.0 gallons of gas.

Woa...I gotta get that new fuel flow gauge working. Not happy about that as it's a brand new EI FP-5L installation. Must be the flow transducer, right? Will call them tomorrow. I was at about 4,000' and fighting the off-nose winds trying to maintain heading within 4 degrees and the engine sounded like I pulled the power and mixture knobs all the way out. I looked outside for a place to land and started to reach for trim (best glide - 80mph) and then reached down and switched to left tank. In about two seconds the engine was running at 2,450 rpm again.

It was getting late so I stopped at Elizabethtown NC (KEYF) again for the night since I know those people now, and stayed again at the Cape Fear Vineyard cottages. Put in 15.4 gallons of gas at $4.29 per. Parked and tied down. Covered the plane, called for a ride. Restaurant was closed on a Monday. Figures. Luckily Domino's pizza delivered a nice Supreme pizza and the cottage room was clean and comfortable. Hot shower. King bed - watched a little TV. Mitch from the Ocean Co. FBO picked me up at 7:45 and took me to my plane. Added 1/2 qt oil. In the air by 8:30am.

7/28 Flew to Brunswick GA. Filled up the TP with 23 gallons of 100LL at $3.43.

Took off and flew to Titusville FL (KTIX - home) and landed at 1:05pm. Didn't fill up because I'm going to rebuild my fuel valve selector now. I couldn't feel the detents all the way home. Pulled out my car and put the TP back in the hangar. We had covered about 2,250 miles in the last few days, just me and my little putt-putt airplane, as my wife calls it. Wiped down and covered the plane with canvas tarps. Logged my time (24.7 flying hours round trip) and went home to my amazing wife. Life is good.

Take care,
    Subsonic
    Last edited by Subsonic; 07-29-2020 at 10:47 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: FL to ME Trip Report

Nice to hear your story, you have discovered the fun and joy and sense of accomplishment of
    having your own airplane and what makes it even better is your plane is a Piper Shortwing.
    "Progress is our most important problem"

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Sounds lik a fun trip. Cape Fear Vineyard sounds lie a nice place except the flashbacks of Max Cady in the movie Cape Fear. Any pictures? I ave always tweaked the fuel flow K factor but that one seems off more than normal. There is a automatic feature where you tell it what you added and it starts adjusting the K factor.

Post Thanks / Like

Great trip report Subsonic, sounds like you had good experiences and challenges throughout the trip.

Regarding your fuel flow instrument, you would think when you spend big bucks on modern equipment it would be calibrated a bit closer than it was, that was out to lunch.....I bet you weren't very happy about that. Hope it's an easy fix.
    Forrest Miller

Post Thanks / Like

My EI FP5L was spot on from the factory. Beware, when you add fuel you must have the gage in the right position( Fuel Rem) or it could will change the calibration number. It happened to me. See page 8 & 9 in the Operating Instructions.
    The gage should be set to the calibration number on the fuel flow transducer. This calibrates the the transducer.

Post Thanks / Like

Steve and Gilbert, thanks for the input on the FP-5L. I don't know what the calibration number (K-factor) on the transducer is, but the gauge showed 198. Does it interrogate the xducer for that number? Anyway, there's a formula for changing the K-factor which I followed. (FP-5L Fuel Used multiplied by Current K-factor/Actual fuel used. 22X198/14.1=309). Changed my K-factor from 198 to 309.

Do you know what K-factors you two have? Also, filter and display update times are set at F2 and UP2 respectively. My fuel burn rate is set to 8.5 gal/hr. I'll go up when the Wx is better in a few days here and try it out.
    -Subsonic

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

IMG_3926[1].JPGIMG_3957[1].JPGIMG_3969[1].JPGIMG_3945[1].JPG Just some random images. I'll do some organizing and post better - with congruity - later.

Post Thanks / Like

IMG_4046[1].JPGIMG_4078[1].JPGIMG_4074[1].JPG More random stuff. Sights along the way. I try to post self image pics but this site sw inverts all face pictures. Try it you'll see. Don't know how to fix.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Subsonic; 07-31-2020 at 04:31 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

My K factor is 334. I replaced the transducer under warranty 10 years or so ago. The original was 338.

The K factor is just a correction factor that is a function of each transducers output.
    It is stored in the FP5 to correct the transducer pulses.
    Changing it may be an iterative process to zero on in the the correct calibration.
    I am usually plus or mins less than . 5 gallon difference on fill up.

I don’t put much faith in airport gas pump calibrations. I don believe the State weight and measures people check the calibration like they do at gas stations. I have had some wild fluctuations at airports away from home even when I filled the tanks
    Last edited by Gilbert Pierce; 07-31-2020 at 07:21 AM.