Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: 500 lbs in front seats!

Post Thanks / Like

Default 500 lbs in front seats!

Hi folks,
    Im a newer Tripacer driver. Admittedly, Im being a bit lazy, but hope this is a legit question. Ive just ran the numbers in a canned W&B calculator and would like to hear from your vast experience. A friend wants to go flying with me. Together, we’ll be 485 lbs in front seats. No problem on gross weight, but the W&B calc, shows that we’d be outside of the CG envelope. We’ll be flying the PA22-150. I used to the a Cherokee 180 outside the CG occasionally. Never a problem. I did occasionally have some ‘ballast’ weight in storage. Thoughts on the Tripacer front seat, max weight? Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: 500 lbs in front seats!

Quote Originally Posted by bubben24@windstream.net View Post
    Hi folks,
    Im a newer Tripacer driver. Admittedly, Im being a bit lazy, but hope this is a legit question. Ive just ran the numbers in a canned W&B calculator and would like to hear from your vast experience. A friend wants to go flying with me. Together, we’ll be 485 lbs in front seats. No problem on gross weight, but the W&B calc, shows that we’d be outside of the CG envelope. We’ll be flying the PA22-150. I used to the a Cherokee 180 outside the CG occasionally. Never a problem. I did occasionally have some ‘ballast’ weight in storage. Thoughts on the Tripacer front seat, max weight? Thanks.
    While it will probably be fine. Do the ballast idea and keep it inside the limits. Most Pacers fly and land better with some weight in the back.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn’t want to sit down with an FAA Ops inspector and FAA lawyer and say “it was a little out side the CG envelope but thought it would be ok”.
    Do what Stephen recommended.

Post Thanks / Like

Why not put the friend in the back seat? That being said, I have flown my pacer and a tripacer quite a bit with 2 husky guys in the front seat.

Post Thanks / Like

Your other problem also might be closing the door. I'm a skinny 6' and 170# but one time took a passenger 300+. I was basically turned sideways. On climb out the door popped open and it helped.
    -Super Stub-

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Green View Post
    Your other problem also might be closing the door. I'm a skinny 6' and 170# but one time took a passenger 300+. I was basically turned sideways. On climb out the door popped open and it helped.
    GEEZ! Just found this. I need to stop surfing this website late at night. Are you kidding? This reminds me of my bandito skydiving days and taking 182's up to Owens Valley CA. We were skydivers. So we took off from Reid Hillview, SJ CA, went north for 95 minutes and landed on cow dirt road strips around Lake Berryessa and Owens. Land and take the right door off, removed seats, belts, and bolted on our own turb. brake/fairing on the 182 rt. hinge mounts. Skydive all day with 1000 to 2000 fpm up with 4 guys onboard a 182 to 13k ft and jump. cheap jumping. 3 to 4 bucks a jump in gas money. 1982 timeframe. Anyway, who cares right? My Point is every skydiver knows how a plane yaws when you open the friggin door. All skydive doors either "roll forward or up" or "pivot up and out". The change in pressure in the cabin when you open the door is always an event for the pilot. You, "skydiver" opening the door yells out, "DOOR", so the driver knows it's coming. then you open it. The plane turns hard to the side the door is on. The pilot recovers and you go about your business spotting the plane for exit. Geez, I need to get back jumping. Good night.
    Last edited by Subsonic; 11-13-2021 at 01:29 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Fore and aft limits are set for control ability issues, gross weight is for structural issues. Cg to far forward, not enough up elevator to arrest descent on landing, to far aft, and, well basically you loos all longitude stability. Aft is really bad! Forward, maybe not so bad.

Ballets to keep it in the envelope, or you are literally a test pilot!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Green View Post
    Love it, Frank! I'll keep the open-door procedure towards the end of my option checklist. Lol