Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What did I just do?

Post Thanks / Like

Default What did I just do?

Well, I decided to play aircraft mechanic and change my own oil. I probably should have had my A&P nearby since it was my first time, but I may have messed up horribly and feel like a dumba$$. I broke the fitting that the temp probe sits in. I don't think that I kinked the tubing, but I'm not entirely sure. Is this something that can be fixed or is it likely that it needs to get sent out. I'm going to have my mechanic look at it this weekend as well, but maybe someone can help ease my mind before that happens.

20200807_154052.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What did I just do?

It looks like it’s just the adapter. Shouldn’t be too bad to replace. Hopefully the copper tube coming out the back isn’t damaged. That’s where it should have been disassembled so the tube doesn’t get twisted. No reason to remove the adapter to get the screen out. I always hold the adapter with a wrench when I break loose the temperature probe. I don’t have the specs for the adapter handy or I would give them to you now.
    Last edited by Jeff J; 08-07-2020 at 05:12 PM.
    "Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement." - Fred Brooks

Post Thanks / Like

I cannot see how badly its kinked but I did the same thing first time I started unscrewing that probe. I stopped myself and just took out the bolts then I did like the two dumb guys unscrewing a light bulb (one turns the chair while the other holds the bulb)
    I had someone watch the gauge as I passed a flame under it. It still worked but I also felt stupid and I even gots one of the licences to mess up legal like.
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, looking closer I see you did not kink it ...ahh! broke it. ouch

Post Thanks / Like

Phew...thank you both. Though I'm still a bit worried about the copper line, at least I can start with the adapter. I think I found the part at Aircraft Spruce
    Last edited by thebeerdedpilot; 08-07-2020 at 06:19 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

If you didnt hear the freon escaping and the oil temp still works you are good and just need the adapter. Part number is here on the oil filter adapter thread.

Post Thanks / Like

Put a filter kit on it and then you dont have the drama at oil change time. And the filtered oill is much better for your engine.

Bill Ryan
    Casper Labs, Inc.
    tel. five six one -575-3157 fax five six one -575-0438

He has all the parts you need for a painless installation, money well spent!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by at7615 View Post
    Put a filter kit on it and then you dont have the drama at oil change time. And the filtered oill is much better for your engine.

Bill Ryan
    Casper Labs, Inc.
    tel. five six one -575-3157 fax five six one -575-0438

He has all the parts you need for a painless installation, money well spent!
    Not a good idea for the 290D. The accessory case on “D”has no provisions for oil cooler lines, vernatherm, viscosity valve, etc. instead it uses a special adapter that the oil screen and housing attaches to. Oil cooler if so fitted, is also in the way of the spin on filter. It would have to be moved to behind number four cylinder.
    Mainly it is way to expensive, new style assy case, vernatherm, relocate oil cooler (stc) new oil cooler and lines, adapter for Casper mount, I would guess about $1300 to $1500 to put a spin on filter on.

For the “kink” make two one inch square blocks from oak. Drill a 1/8” hole between the separation line of the blocks with them held together in a clamp. Fit the die blocks over the kink in the line and slowly drive both down with the die until they are removed.

To ensure that none of the “gas” leaked out do an operational test. Run engine until warm, shoot a Infared thermometer down the oil filler tube. If you hit the oil in the sump with the red light on the thermometer (see attached picture) you are seeing temp before cooler. Shell and Lycoming have the procedure on there sites or youtube. Something about the 180 degree mark.

Anyway compare the actual oil temp to the gauge. As the old bourdon tube/capillary/gas was not very accurate but it should be close to the measured oil temp measured with the ray tech technique. You may need to have the gauge overhauled anyway due to time.

Todd
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Vagabondblues; 08-08-2020 at 01:01 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Sent Bill an message.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by at7615 View Post
    Sent Bill an message.
    Me? If so, it didn't get thru.