Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What did I just do?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What did I just do?

Quote Originally Posted by MrBill View Post
    Me? If so, it didn't get thru.
    Sent a message to Bill Ryan, His listing on Ebay says his filter adapter will fit the early Lycomings with the oil cooler adapter. The guy knows his stuff! Anyways, now I gots to know in case a 0-290 comes my way!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by at7615 View Post
    Sent a message to Bill Ryan, His listing on Ebay says his filter adapter will fit the early Lycomings with the oil cooler adapter. The guy knows his stuff! Anyways, now I gots to know in case a 0-290 comes my way!
    60 year old airplanes have a way of morphing their configuration. It is usually best to take a picture
    looking straight down from above the oil screen housing. It should be wide enough to see both mags and the
    firewall. Send it to N ovember 1 W iskey R omeo at juno dot com. Include your number if you want a verbal follow up.
    Make sure there is enough light to avoid shadowing features.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes.. the Casper labs will physically fit and mate up with the 290 D engine. The recommendation to install a removable oil filter, Casper, B&C, or whatever is in my opinion as someone who has actually done it is not a good solution to the original posters problem.

From my experiences the 290D oil system is unique. First the oil pump has a fixed shaft, meaning the shaft is cotter pinned to the case. No oil passages to deliver lubrication as the shaft does not rotate in other words. This oil pump shaft and gears are not applicable to the aluminum gear AD, so no need to needlessly update to the sintered iron with rotating shaft and drilling the passages in the case. Next the oil pump body is a three piece design which is obsolete, meaning parts are no longer available. As the asscessory case was cast 70 years ago, it was designed for the three piece oil pump and has no provisions for a vernatherm, integral oil cooling lines. So to fit an oil cooler to the 290D requires a special adapter with a viscosity valve and oil cooler outlets that attaches under the filter screen and housing. These adapters are almost impossible to find used and the spring on the vis valve will fail in less than 100 hours.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The issue to me is the ease of maintenance. I prefer the oil filter adapter because I don't have to remove the oil temp probe to clean the screen if it has a filter.

Post Thanks / Like

The next problem is the 50 Pacer which uses the 290D has a steel oil cooler mounted on the firewall with a steel bracket. This cooler and duct will prevent the installation of an oil filter even though the Casper oil filter adapter will fit the engine.

If you upgrade to a new style cooler mounted behind cylinder number 4 so you can clear the new spin on filter you will have to upgrade the accessory case, which means, upgrading the oil pump, drilling the accessory case, new idler....etc. etc.

Long story short it can be done Bill is correct. It’s just going to be expensive and more so if you a paying someone to do it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    The issue to me is the ease of maintenance. I prefer the oil filter adapter because I don't have to remove the oil temp probe to clean the screen if it has a filter.
    So cutting the filer open to check for metal is ease of maintenance?

Had a few stitches doing that.
    Last edited by Vagabondblues; 08-09-2020 at 06:15 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

So how does the cooler plumb into the engine? You are assuming no one put a new oil pump in the engine over the years?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

As always is the case in aviation, when you modify one thing it effects 3-4 more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I find cutting open a filter far easier than dealing with the oil temp probe. I have broken a few over the last 20 plus years of maintaining long and short wing Pipers. No fun in my book. I do 2-3 annuals a month and much prefer the filter to the screen. I use the Challenger oil filter on my own airplane. Pretty easy to inspect and clean.

Post Thanks / Like

I installed a Casper labs oil filter assembly on my O-290D. The only issue I had was to machine the adapter for the oil temperature probe....(brass bushing/reducer) threads were to long to allow the bushing on the oil temp probe to seal. Pretty sure I bought an adapter plate to do it...bought the set up from Reeve Airmotive, now part of Alaska Airframes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro