Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thread: ADSB I finally decided and did it

Post Thanks / Like

Default ADSB I finally decided and did it

OK so for years now I have been procrastinating on ADSB out. I was leaning towards the Gamin but was waiting to see what uAvionix was going to do with the right wing to have a match and add strobes which I don't have. I installed the wingtip unit on a Kitfox which already had strobes so simple 3 wires and a 175 but just left the strobe unhooked as it wouldn't have a strobe on the other wing anyway, but my problem with that plan was how to properly add the extra strobe power wire to recently covered wings. So I finally gave up and turned my attention to how to install the tail unit on my Tripacer. So the tri rudder taillight is a formed bracket with 3/8 tubing welded to it. Too shallow to accept the uAvionix tail light and to open up the hole would drastically weaken it. So the only way was to make an extension spacer. I used delrin plastic which machines well. I carved it and match shaped it to lighten it as much as possible. End result spacer 1 3/4 oz. Originla light 2 3/4 oz. ADSB unit 3 oz. So I added 2 oz. to the trailing edge of a 5 lb. rudder which you can mount a couple pound strobe to the top of. I cut the strobe post off when I recovered it anyway so I figure I'm net 0 on weight. Next issue was the original taillight is only held with 2 sheet metal screws. The uAvinix unit comes with 2 4-40 screws to hold it but I enlarged the hole and countersink to take 6-32. I drilled thru the plate and both walls of the tubing and tapped 6-32. I installed the spacer and the plate with 2 1/4 " 6-32 SS flat head phillips. Had to buy a box of 50. I planned on installing locknuts on the inside and even made a tool to do it but the tapped hole had plenty of strength. I think I could have broke the screw before it would have stripped. Next step is to rewire the dash so I can have the tail light on a separate switch from the position lights but yes still have the position light power the tail when turned on. They're called diodes. Still have to do the test flight but glad after years of putting it off to have it done.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    -Super Stub-

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: ADSB I finally decided and did it

That seems to be a lot of extra stuff on a control surface. Should be interesting to see if you can feel that in flight.
    “Seek advice but use your own common sense.”
    ― Yiddish Proverb

Post Thanks / Like

Looks pretty ingenious and simple.Nice.

Post Thanks / Like

One more thing I had to do was add a ground wire thru the rudder to the airframe. Was concerned about grounding thru the hinges like the nav light did.
    -Super Stub-

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Green View Post
    One more thing I had to do was add a ground wire thru the rudder to the airframe. Was concerned about grounding thru the hinges like the nav light did.
    Any trick to doing that on a covered rudder? I have to replace my existing nav light wire is why I'm asking.
    “Seek advice but use your own common sense.”
    ― Yiddish Proverb

Post Thanks / Like

I've been thinking of this more and more. I am holding out for the TailBeacon-x as it won't have the issues of dropping altitude in low radar coverage areas, will allow Canada even once they go over to the antenna diversity, plus it is the transponder so I won't need a transponder in the panel. But it still has the mounting issue... Thanks for shareing what you did.

-Ken

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I found it fairly easy to make a spacer and mount the Sky Beacon. The hardest part was running an extra wire for the strobe.IMG_0218.JPG