Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Replacing Battery/Starter Cable PA22 - BKM?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Replacing Battery/Starter Cable PA22 - BKM?

Hi Folks,
    I am fabricating new battery/starter cables (with IA approval) using approved materials (2GA) and techniques.
    My question is, what is the best/easiest way to remove the old cables between the master switch box, under the floorboards, though the firewall and around the engine, and then fish the new copper stuff back in place?
    I'm looking for Helpful Hints and Best Known Methods please.
    The really mysterious part is the section running under the floorboards.
    - Must this be done by pulling up the floorboards and rudder pedal assembly, which means opening up the bootcowl to get to the rudder pedal mounting hardware, etc?
    - Or can it be done by just opening up the bootcowl on the left side?
    - I have the original starter so I'll add a few inches of extra in cable in the engine compartment for when I eventually replace with a Sky-Tec - How much extra cable length is needed?
    - If I were to also run a dedicated ground cable from starter to a really good ground, where would that ground be (ie, battery negative cable connection at airframe, or ???) and what gauge cable would be required; since it's not the load side must it be the same as the positive cable?

I'll look on the Piper Drawings CD for clues about hidden clamps and such.
    I'm not opposed to chopping up the old cable where it makes sense to do so to ease removal, so I don't have to pull nine feet of 65 year old, work-hardened aluminum crap around multiple bends and the birdcage of engine/mount/nosegear hardware.

Thanks and have a great weekend - we're expecting 100F temperatures here in Oregon so that will make the work in the uninsulated, west-facing hangar a real joy.

GG
    Glen Geller
    1955 PA22-150 "One For Papa!"

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Replacing Battery/Starter Cable PA22 - BKM?

Glen, was thinking of doing something similar for the ground connection. I pulled the some panels to take a look and what seemed to be the difficult place to work with heavy cable will be when you get aft under the seat. It was not going to be a quick project so I put it off for a while. Will be interested in the additional guidance you receive.
    "Progress is our most important problem"

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, can't help. On my plane that part (the hard part) was already done when a Skytec starter was installed by PO -- all I did was change the cables from the battery box to the relay box under pilot's seat. (Used Bogert stuff.)

Post Thanks / Like

It’s been close to twenty years since I did the job. I used the Bogert cables because I didn’t have proper tools back then. I don’t remember anything difficult about changing the cables. I opened the belly, including the boot cowl, and followed the routing of the original. The insulation was flaking off the old cable as I flexed it to remove it.

Post Thanks / Like

Complying with AD 57-22-01 every 100 hours, see Piper Service Bulletin 161A, should expose the battery cable where it exits the battery box, runs under the floor board and exits the firewall. From the firewall to the starter should be easy as it runs down the side of the oil pan at the intersection with the crankcase. Nothing difficult as I remember it.

If Piper Kit, P/N 754237 has been installed terminating the AD the you will need to remove the U shaped channel the runs along the interface with the boot owl and the firewall.
    Last edited by Gilbert Pierce; 08-15-2020 at 10:50 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

You will love the results when done. I replaced mine last year and it makes a much more confident passenger in my wife! She hated that old prop barely turning over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Clayton, which panels, skins, etc did you remove to access the hidden parts of the cable?
    If you were doing it again what would you do differently?
    Any helpful hints, photos if available, are appreciated.

GG

Sent from my SM-G955U using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app
    Glen Geller
    1955 PA22-150 "One For Papa!"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Glen Geller View Post
    Clayton, which panels, skins, etc did you remove to access the hidden parts of the cable?
    If you were doing it again what would you do differently?
    Any helpful hints, photos if available, are appreciated.

GG

Sent from my SM-G955U using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app
    The appropriate panel here :https://www.univair.com/content/PIP_SB0161A.pdf.
    Plus the gear doors and seats.