Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Brake Anchor Bolt Tool and/or Tips

Post Thanks / Like

Default Brake Anchor Bolt Tool and/or Tips

Anyone have a tool and/or tips to removal and replace Brake caliper anchor bolts on a Cleveland single puck brake 030-63Q

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Brake Anchor Bolt Tool and/or Tips

Hi Delta,
    Can you provide a little more info about the current situation, what is the issue is and what is your ultimate goal?
    I presume you mean you want to remove the guide pins (#8 in linked drawing) that align the caliper with the torque plate, correct?
    https://www.pilotshop.com/catalog/lg...600x6brake.php has a parts list and assembly drawing, or you can download from Parker (Cleveland parent company.)
    Use a floor jack to lift the wheel you want to address, being sure to chock the other two wheels securely so the plane cannot roll or fall.
    Then you can remove the axle nut that holds the wheel on the plane and pull the wheel straight off the axel. Be sure to look for possible spacer rings on the axel in front or behind the wheel and note the correct orientation and position of everything. You do not want to mess up one side and create a bind or misalignment.
    Of course if you have never done this before you should talk with your A&P or IA and get some support so they are not displeased with you.
    Once the caliper is free you can remove the nuts that hold the guide pins and do whatever you wanted to do.

Best,
    GG
    Glen Geller
    1955 PA22-150 "One For Papa!"

Post Thanks / Like

Here is a thread when I installed larger tires and had to get the anchor bolts out: https://www.shortwingpipers.org/foru...dessers!/page4 . Page 4 posts 35 to 37 explains how I got them out.

Juergen
    Pacer N3342Z

Post Thanks / Like

Have done all that and then used a C-clamp to press anchor bolts out. Now need to put new anchor bolts in ?? Worried about threads, but should be ok using a small long socket around thread end to press them back in. Ever use some kind of super lubricant on the pins going back in ??

Post Thanks / Like

Juergen, Great info ( THANKS so much !!) I was provided those longer pins ABI -30-52N (ABI-69-1900) in the picture. I have talked to Cleveland and they recommended that number as well. I have different Cleveland wheels and brakes (40-97D wheels and 030-63Q single puck brakes). Hope they work. Any tips on putting the new pins back in ?? Lube, press in with C-Clamp, socket to pound in, other tools ??? THANKS !!!! Daryl

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Glen - Any tips for getting the new pins in - Lube, tools, press in with C- Clamp, Use a socket. ???? THANKS. !! Daryl

Post Thanks / Like

I only had regular 20/50 motor oil in the hangar. Lubed them and pulled them in by tightening the nuts.

Juergen
    Pacer N3342Z

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. I think I'd better clean up the brake bracket receiver holes to let them slide in easily

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Juergen, We must have been doing our Svenn's STC Desser 850 smooth tundra upgrade at the same time. I used two Airframe Alaska spacers (1 each wheel) and luckily ordered the correct pins and used the same C-clamp technique as you. All complete and wonderful. You mentioned thinking they weren't big enough tires. Well, I've run three sets of the Desser 850 smooth tundras on a Scout and they are the best - they wear on pavement (got over 600 hours on my last set) and take the shock off the airframe. If you would go to Goodyear 26s - they are very hard - wear well but cost more a give very little airframe shock protection. Airframe Alaska bushwheels won't last on pavement. I'm running 12 psi on the Pa-22-20-150 and the Desser 850 smooth tundras seem perfect. Have fun and if you head west I'm in Prescott, Az. Daryl - da737retired@gmail.com