Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: PA-20 Experimental Build Advice

Post Thanks / Like

Default PA-20 Experimental Build Advice

Hi friends,

I just purchased a PA22 conversion to PA20 project that I plan to build into an amateur homebuilt experimental. The landing gear conversion is complete and the toe brakes are installed, but that's about the extent of the build at the moment.

My "wishlist" of mods from stock is to lengthen the wings, add PA18 tailfeathers, replace the engine with an O-360 and add a left door.

I believe that at the stage at which the project is currently at, I can get to 51% - I have the Advisory Circular checklist and am in contact with my DAR who is advising me throughout this process.

I just bought this project two days ago, so am very much in the research phase, but would appreciate advice on the following:

1) If lengthening the wings, is it necessary to lengthen the fuselage? At what point does it become necessary?
    2) Does anyone have drawings for the V-6 STOL build?
    3) For those of you with experience with lengthening wings, how did you go about deciding what parts to purchase and assemble vs which parts to fabricate? How did you go about deciding on the length?

Appreciate any advice folks have for me as I launch into this project!

Post Thanks / Like

Default PA-20 Experimental Build Advice

Any work you do on the existing components won’t count towards the 51%. Be very careful how you proceed. You may well end up with Experimental Exhibition rather than Amateur Built. I’ve been a DAR doing this stuff for about 16 years now, you will be treading on thin ice, and putting your DARs livelihood in jeopardy.

There isn’t much reason you can’t doo the majority of your wish list with existing STCs and stay a Standard.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: PA-20 Experimental Build Advice

Thank you! As mentioned in the original post, I'm in touch with the DAR who is aware of the work we are doing and we are using the AC 20-27 checklist (as well as the paperwork he uses to calculate the 51%) to meticulously note every part we are fabricating. We are confident that we are going to be well within the guidelines of legality as the point of this exercise is not to get the mods we are looking for, but to build the airplane (we already own a PA22 and a PA20 that are both 100% legally certificated).

This isn't an attempt to skirt the rules. This is a project for two amateur pilots to learn how to build an airplane per guidelines established by the FAA and the EAA.

Just looking for any advice and research folks can point us towards at this junction. Appreciate it!
    Last edited by barilov; 08-21-2020 at 06:20 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

https://www.faa.gov/aircraft/gen_av/...syCklistFW.pdf

This is the checklist you need to use. Again, I stress any work on existing components (fuselage, wings, . . . ) can’t be counted as work towards the 51% as that is Part 43 maintenance, not fabrication or assembly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Yup this is the checklist we have. The role of existing components in the 51% rule is understood. As I mentioned there are no wings, empenage, cabin, or panel.

If anyone has any advice / tips the actual build, that would be helpful

Post Thanks / Like

If it were me (I’m partial to sticks) I would do stick controls rather than wheels. The pacer hydrosorbs are in the way for using the Clipper stick controls. If you went with the Trimmer SuperCub extended gear and Cabane V under the belly, that gets rid of the hydrosorbs and makes room for the PA-16 style controls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Or you do like Stephen and mount the stick mechanism in front of the carry thru structure.

Post Thanks / Like

Lengthening the fuselage is not that big of a deal compared to other things on your list. I would purchase the Wagaero 2+2 plans and get a set of V6 stol plans and blend them. Keep your weight down!
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you everyone! I'm wavering back and forth on the fuselage stretch with right now, leaning towards doing the stretch.

So much to learn and so many decisions to make! Since this is very much a first for me, it's all a bit overwhelming but appreciate having such a great source of knowledge within this group.

Right now it looks like I need to learn a lot about the basics of aircraft building (sheetmetal work, welding, wiring) that I know very little about. I will be turning to the forums as more specific questions develop

Thank you all!

Post Thanks / Like

You might consider sticking with a certified Stretched Pacer. The STC and plans are $1000. You will have all the information you need. James is in the process of getting the Super Pacer STC approved for the PA 20, PA 16 and all versions of the PA 22.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."