Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Muffler Shroud removal

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Muffler Shroud removal

Quote Originally Posted by walt.buskey View Post
    Ditto what mongoose said! We saw hairline cracks at the ends, but this is what we found when the muffler was removed....

Attachment 17663
    This is exactly why I'm so anal on aircraft inspections. "We don't need to do that, it was done last annual, those never go bad, those bearings don't need packing, blah de blah bs" I don't care anymore, rather be considered an a-hole than kill someone or their family!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Be sure you have flat and star lock washers for the cylinder exhaust studs and don't over torque.
    So, how is the best way to track down small hardware for your specific engine ? I have the CD from Piper but I would think this info would be listed for my Engine somewhere at Lycoming. Sorry for the wild, open question and I am getting better at parts on the plane.
    maybe Im being too anal . I do have a fairly good Pilots store near-by thats pretty good at matching the correct part to the "Walk in part"

Post Thanks / Like

Engine hardware is in the Lycoming parts manual.

https://www.lycoming.com/sites/defau...g%20PC-103.pdf
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Gilbert Pierce; 09-01-2020 at 07:58 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gilbert Pierce View Post
    Engine hardware is in the Lycoming parts manual.
    The Lycoming Engine Parts Manual is a must-have for any work you plan to do on your engine.
    There are torque tables and lists and tons of useful info in there.
    Digital downloads from Lycoming, and paper copies (my preferred style) on eBay etc usually for ~$70.

GG
    Glen Geller
    1955 PA22-150 "One For Papa!"

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Started on this after work today . Im going to remove the crossover pipe from the left side . Im also wanting to remove the tail pipe extension , I want to pull the whole muffler out.
    After loosening the clamps the pipe will shake slightly from side to side but won't slide out . Blunt Force ? A1459E04-9240-4DA8-8F9A-BEA0F635721E.jpegBF943DE2-E975-42A5-A1C1-1AC85ADC069B.jpeg

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sierrasplitter View Post
    Started on this after work today . Im going to remove the crossover pipe from the left side . Im also wanting to remove the tail pipe extension , I want to pull the whole muffler out.
    After loosening the clamps the pipe will shake slightly from side to side but won't slide out . Blunt Force ? A1459E04-9240-4DA8-8F9A-BEA0F635721E.jpegBF943DE2-E975-42A5-A1C1-1AC85ADC069B.jpeg
    Remove the Muffler clamps completely as they have a stud that goes through the Exhaust stack pipe and muffler end to prevent muffler rotation and prevent the stack pipe from pulling out of the muffler. Once the clamp is off you can rotate the stack back and forth to aid sliding it from the muffler.
    Brian
    Monrovia, CA

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thank You Gentlemen. I saw the pin, clamps and hardware are reusable or replace ?

Again, Thank You

Post Thanks / Like

When I did mine, one of the clamp pins was significantly worn down and another clamp was icky-looking (how's that for tech-talk?).

I replaced two clamps and re-used one, but used new bolts & hi-temp stop nuts. You can get the clamps from Univair ($$$) or from the outfit I used for my muffler's repair, Dawley, for quite a bit less than Univair's price. (Like maybe half?)

And if your muffler needs repair, I again highly recommend Dawley.

BEFORE:DSC07257.jpg AFTER:DSC07327.jpg
    Dawley clamps:DSC08194.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Like Walt says about the bolt and nut. Have seen someone drill the old pin out and weld in a new pin using round stock.
    Probably lot easier to buy one from Dawley unless a fellow has access to someone with a good machine shop and welder
    "Progress is our most important problem"