Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Muffler Shroud removal

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Muffler Shroud removal

I have an I/A that will work with me on Annuals, Repairs and Inspections . Yes! I need to do the 100 hour muffler AD . I am tasked with removing the shroud. Any tips ? have searched the forum and youtube. No examples

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Muffler Shroud removal

Loosen or remove the ring clamp bolt and pull the clamp off. The thing on top that looks like a bar slides off lengthwise. Now the shroud is open on the top. Most IAs don't require you to remove it further, the just need to look inside

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

If the shroud is a tight fit, use a rubber mallet to gently tap the long sliding clamp off. With my stock aluminum one, it slid right off.
    Last edited by FFSchooley; 08-24-2020 at 11:17 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

My I/A wants to see inside both ends of the muffler, interior baffle integrity check. To do it this way requires removing the crossover exhaust pipe that enters the muffler from the pilots end before removing the muffler.

Post Thanks / Like

Looking inside is very important.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

You can't inspect the baffles with the header pipes installed. Supposed to leak check it in water! Requires removal to do it right, not hard to do. Get a can of "Creep" spray the hardware/studs and let set a bit, carefully remove all the hardware and inspect. Be sure you have flat and star lock washers for the cylinder exhaust studs and don't over torque.

Post Thanks / Like

Ditto what mongoose said! We saw hairline cracks at the ends, but this is what we found when the muffler was removed....

DSC07254.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Hi,

My I/A wants to see inside both ends of the muffler, interior baffle integrity check. To do it this way requires removing the crossover exhaust pipe that enters the muffler from the pilots end before removing the muffler.
    I remove the left side and look up the tail pipe to see the right side. I am looking at the flame tubes for integrity.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by at7615 View Post
    You can't inspect the baffles with the header pipes installed. Supposed to leak check it in water! Requires removal to do it right, not hard to do. Get a can of "Creep" spray the hardware/studs and let set a bit, carefully remove all the hardware and inspect. Be sure you have flat and star lock washers for the cylinder exhaust studs and don't over torque.
    From wat I rmember leak checking is an alternative if you can't see everything. Ue to use a clean shop vac to pressurize and soap bubble check. Inspecting the flame tube is pretty important as well if you have ever had one come lose and partially block off the tail pipe reducing the rpm and power. Had a friend who had that happen over the swamps in Louisiana. He was still pretty shook up when he called me. Had another and on a highway and knocked both wing tips off on highway signs.

Post Thanks / Like

I like the presure check with soapy water, it always bugged me to immerse the muffler in H20.