Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Original headliner?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Original headliner?

By all you need to stretch and glue to make it look nice. Wool you glue in without stretching, then spray with water to shrink it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pacer42Z View Post
    Looks good. How difficult was it to install?

Juergen
    Pacer N3342Z
    My pacer is covered, and I donít think it was a hard job at all. Probably took me 4-5 hours. Just requires a lot of patience.

I lifted the headliner into place and installed the bows back to front. Then started by gluing in the rear so I could center the bows, and worked my way forward glueing the sides. Left a lot of excess on the sides in case I needed to shift something while I worked. Came back though and final trimmed the material. Installed the trim pieces and it was done.

Like I said just take your time, make sure you donít cut too much off too fast and just keep it taught. I made Mine from wool, and the picture is before I steamed it. Itís drum tight now.

Spraying with water and a hair dryer would work too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I'm so confused. Trying to figure out my headliner installation. Piper drawing number 12193 - headliner arches table shows 12193-2 through -14. That is 13 arches with dimensions shown.

My 1956 Tri-Pacer had no headliner in it when I bought it and I bought an Airtex headliner for it. I was lucky to find and buy what I thought was a complete set of arches (bows, ribs) a couple years ago, as well. There are only six (6) arches in the set.

The headliner has eight arch loops and three zippers sewn into it. Reference dwg. # 13939.

My plane has 6 pairs of mounting tabs on the inside for six (6) arches. All six pairs of mounting tabs are placed behind the driver seat. The most forward mounting tabs are about at the aileron cable location. No mounting tabs are forward of that. There are none over the front door or the left side window. But my headliner has two arch loops there. Am I missing two arches and the mounting tabs for them?

The mounting and gluing details for the headliner over the front seats and around the speaker and the trim crank is a puzzle for me. All knowledgeable comments appreciated. Pictures really help.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by siouxpilot77 View Post
    My pacer is covered, and I don’t think it was a hard job at all. Probably took me 4-5 hours. Just requires a lot of patience.

I lifted the headliner into place and installed the bows back to front. Then started by gluing in the rear so I could center the bows, and worked my way forward glueing the sides. Left a lot of excess on the sides in case I needed to shift something while I worked. Came back though and final trimmed the material. Installed the trim pieces and it was done.

Like I said just take your time, make sure you don’t cut too much off too fast and just keep it taught. I made Mine from wool, and the picture is before I steamed it. It’s drum tight now.

Spraying with water and a hair dryer would work too.

Thanks for posting this info and the pictures. Can you post some more pictures of the final job? How many arches or ribs do you have. My plane is a '56 TP and I'm wondering if we have different headliners with different numbers of arches. What did you specifically use to steam the headliner?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Original headliner?

8 bows (one set it split by the dome light). There is only one drawing on the(13939) for the headliner so I think itís the same for all
    Years. Iíll take some photos for you next time Iím at the hanger.

I have an upholstery steamer made by jiffy, but I do some upholstery work as a side job for fun. I wouldnít go out and buy one just for this job.

You can just spray it with water and hit it with a hair drier and it will shrink it to get the little wrinkles out.

Last edited by siouxpilot77; 09-22-2020 at 11:16 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Subsonic View Post
    I'm so confused. Trying to figure out my headliner installation. Piper drawing number 12193 - headliner arches table shows 12193-2 through -14. That is 13 arches with dimensions shown.

My 1956 Tri-Pacer had no headliner in it when I bought it and I bought an Airtex headliner for it. I was lucky to find and buy what I thought was a complete set of arches (bows, ribs) a couple years ago, as well. There are only six (6) arches in the set.

The headliner has eight arch loops and three zippers sewn into it. Reference dwg. # 13939.

My plane has 6 pairs of mounting tabs on the inside for six (6) arches. All six pairs of mounting tabs are placed behind the driver seat. The most forward mounting tabs are about at the aileron cable location. No mounting tabs are forward of that. There are none over the front door or the left side window. But my headliner has two arch loops there. Am I missing two arches and the mounting tabs for them?

The mounting and gluing details for the headliner over the front seats and around the speaker and the trim crank is a puzzle for me. All knowledgeable comments appreciated. Pictures really help.
    I just read this after I replied to the bottom comment. I see your confusion. The rear 6 arches/bows screw into the frame. The front two arches do not screw in. They sit inside the u- channel above your door and window.

The front/first Channel is one piece. The second one is split - 2 pieces. They screw into the wood for the dome light on one side and they just sit in the u channel on the frame.

If your pacer is naked up top and you take a picture above the door and the side window in the front I can circle what Iím talking about like I did on the picture Iím going to attach. This is from when I removed my old one

Post Thanks / Like

Ok thanks. I am missing the 1st/front arch and the second split two piece arch as you described it. Do you know offhand what drawing numbers those arches are? I may have to make them from the dimensions on the drawing 12193.

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone have any pictures they could share of the short arches directly over the pilot and copilot that attach to the Top center speaker board? Either detached or in place with the headliner missing would be very informative.

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone have any pictures they could share of the short arches directly over the pilot and copilot that attach to the Top center speaker board? Either detached or in place with the headliner missing would be very informative.
    Try drawing number 14083.

Post Thanks / Like

Also if you call Kurt Grasso heís got a million pacer parts Iím sure he has a set

(770) 883-0815