Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Low Comm Volume

Post Thanks / Like

Default Low Comm Volume

I know that this may not be specific to short wings, but just wanted to see if anybody had any ideas before I have an avionics shop take a look at it. I'm having a bit of an issue with my comm radio. Even with the volume turned all the way up, it's not very easy to hear any comm transmissions. I decided to get a Lightspeed ANR to hopefully be able to hear things a bit clearer, but that still hasn't worked. The intercomm is fine, I can hear transmissions between myself and any passengers loudly and clearly. However, any radio transmissions on the comms are difficult to hear. So difficult, that I definitely won't go to a towered airport because I'm afraid of not being able to hear ATC. Any ideas? The radio is a King KY 97A TSO installed in a 1950 PA-20.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Low Comm Volume

Are you running with any audio panel of any kind?
    I thought I had a volume issue at one point when I realized my KX125 volume was totally separate from the volume of my audio PS1000. Just a thought

Jan

Post Thanks / Like

No other audio panel, just the comm and intercom. The intercom is loud and clear, the com radio is like 50% the volume of intercom at it's loudest position. Someone said to pull it out and unplug it a few times as there may be some oxidation on the pins. I'm going to try that next time I'm at the hangar.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting problem. I have a similar one. My intercom works fine. Both of my radios work fine....as long as the intercom is turned off. As soon as I turn the intercom on the radio volume drops about 50%

Post Thanks / Like

What happens if you turn off the squelch? You should hear lots of background noise and be able to turn up the volume to max.
    Maybe the squelch setting has drifted?
    TonyN

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thebeerdedpilot View Post
    No other audio panel, just the comm and intercom. The intercom is loud and clear, the com radio is like 50% the volume of intercom at it's loudest position. Someone said to pull it out and unplug it a few times as there may be some oxidation on the pins. I'm going to try that next time I'm at the hangar.
    I have had that be the case in a couple of planes. Unplugging and plugging the radio back in a few times cleared it up for awhile. Till even that stopped working.

Post Thanks / Like