Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My crash in PA22-150 at IAR9 airpark

Post Thanks / Like

Default My crash in PA22-150 at IAR9 airpark

I got my wife’s TrIPacer back from annual Feb 1. Prior to annual it had a couple of occasions of really rough running/popping that were scary but after changing tanks, carb heat on, mag checking etc., both times it cleared right up.

Talked to the A&P about this and he found loose baffles in the muffler, thought that those moving around and blocking the exhaust outlet might be the cause. After inspection, he flew it and then turned it over to me.

Honestly, I was nervous flying it and chose to stay in the pattern basically in case of trouble. On the 7th flight, after the first 6 where it ran great, the engine lost power right at the end of flying downwind to land.
    I changed tanks, carb heat on, and turned toward the runway but with a 8-9 knot headwind and no power, knew I wouldn’t make the runway and focused on not stalling into the ground nose first.

Wow, the sink rate with little and then no power was much more than just pulling the power to idle which I’ve practiced before. Nothing but woods in front of me, I let her sink as she chose into the woods. Last thing I remember (fortunately!) is the sound of treetops hitting the airplane. At impact, my face hit the panel, shattered my right eye socket and nose, broke both bones in both right leg and arm, ribs, shoulder, etc. Lap belt only, no harness…..if you are like me and have procrastinated on getting a harness, hopefully my story will motivate you to get this done.

Because I didn’t get the harness, in addition to what I already wrote, major bruising and the lap belt area, lacerations and major bruising where I guess my chest hit the yoke….get the damn harness if you don’t have it!

I was knocked out and unconscious for almost 2 hours. My phone rang, wife calling frantically, told her I’d crashed and I needed to get out of the wreck, smell of gasoline was very strong. I didn’t realize how busted up I was, really felt very little pain because I was in shock I suppose. No way could I get out, eventually EMTs arrived and got me out.

Multiple fractures, five surgeries….long road of recovery ahead but ALIVE, praise God!
    Last edited by Jaysmiths; 03-15-2022 at 07:15 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: My crash in PA22-150 at I AR9 airpark

Did he repair the muffler or just sign it off and turn it back over to you? I had the same thing happen in 2000 but was on takeoff about 50' off the deck. One big backfire then around 1800 RPM was all I could get out of it. I was in a steep climb with no runway left in front of me. I had the single shoulder strap like a car but rolled out of it and ate the dash a I went through the trees like you did and took the yolk to the chest breaking a few ribs. I won't fly without a 4 point and preferably 5 point harness now.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, we are brothers in misfortune and misery it would seem.

There was a new muffler installed. If I’d had 1800 rpm I’d have made the runway with ease but alas, wasn’t to be.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, that's a story!
    How fortunate you are that you made it out OK, especially with the gas fumes all around and out for 2hrs. I hope your recovery goes well.

I'm curious if the prop was wind-milling as you were descending, If so that likely was the reason for the poor glide. If the prop was stopped, the glide would likely have improved.

Post Thanks / Like

I suspect you had a miss seating exhaust valve from excessive guide wear or a sticking valve. Both will give you the symptoms you describe, very rough running with minimal power that clear up on its own (or sometimes not). While you are mending pull the valve covers and see if any valves are hard to move or have excessive movement. Do a search on wobble test it has a lot of good info. Are you running straight 100LL? Bottom line is bones heal and planes can be fixed. Thanks for sharing you story it may help save someones life someday.
    DENNY

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jaysmiths View Post
    Multiple fractures, five surgeries….long road of recovery ahead but ALIVE, praise God!
    Amen! Glad you’re still with us!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PACERGUY View Post
    I suspect you had a miss seating exhaust valve from excessive guide wear or a sticking valve. Both will give you the symptoms you describe, very rough running with minimal power that clear up on its own (or sometimes not). While you are mending pull the valve covers and see if any valves are hard to move or have excessive movement. Do a search on wobble test it has a lot of good info. Are you running straight 100LL? Bottom line is bones heal and planes can be fixed. Thanks for sharing you story it may help save someones life someday.
    DENNY
    Sad to say, heartbreaking actually is that N7337D is pretty much destroyed. This airplane had maybe three hours after annual when this happened. Engine had about 450 smoh.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jaysmiths View Post
    Sad to say, heartbreaking actually is that N7337D is pretty much destroyed. This airplane had maybe three hours after annual when this happened. Engine had about 450 smoh.
    I was running half mogas and half 100LL more or less.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: My crash in PA22-150 at IAR9 airpark

Unfortunately I know the roller coaster of emotions you are going through right now. After a mid-air in 2002 I had to get back in the air to prove to myself I still could. I could, I did although it was a bad deal in very many ways, I learned a lot and still enjoy flying. Thank you for sharing your story and maybe inspiring others to install those shoulder harnesses.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: My crash in PA22-150 at IAR9 airpark

I put a KitFox in the dirt years ago. I am sure the shoulder harness saved my wife and I from serious injury or worse.
    The first thing I did when I got my Clipper and Vagabond was to install shoulder harnesses. I learned my lesson at age 20 when I went thru the windshield of a Triumph TR3 while sitting on on not in the seat belt.