Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Somebody mixed pieces

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Somebody mixed pieces

Hey Brian
    Once you get more time around them you will be able to tell the difference

https://www.shortwingpipers.org/foru...-Wingtip-STC-s

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

The Plane Boosters are great tips, you get off the ground shorter and slower and climb steeper than a bow tip. The Madras probably do the same compared to a bow tip, but Madras have less wing area, full rib shorter, and they droop down like they have a beer belly compared to the Plane Booster tips which are flat like they hit the gym daily..

While reading through the thread linked above two posts back I found this post below, and if you zoom in you can clearly see the Tripe in his picture does not have beer belly tips, those are Plane Booster tips.

Here are more pics, you are not looking very hard if you cant see the huge difference

Beer belly

Plane Booster, no beer belly, these look like they have seen a pull up bar and have done 4 sets of hanging leg raises every day, carved to a flat strait ab muscle.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stevesaircraft(Bri) View Post
    Plane boosters original tip was a little deeper droop. After Cub Crafters bought the STC they revised the tip shape to be not so much of a droop and then re-certified it only to the PA-18.

This airplane looks like they replaced a tip with one of the Cub crafters tips and left the other side with the original tip.

Plus, those bungee cords are junk, replace them
    Before one breaks..

Brian

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I looked it up, 1992 up on its nose, and 1998 groundlooped left side damaged, beer belly tip was put on after the 1998 groundloop I bet.. Nice paint job, and I like the wheel pants, not sure if those are original but they look nice. Its for sale on Craigslist for 27k.

When did Cub Crafters start selling the Booster tips? Maybe they got a field approval for them on this Pacer, they are STCd for Vagabond and Clipper along with Super Cubs

This is Pacer 98 an early one, it has a drop down visual fuel gage on the right tank, is that original?

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by SMO22; 09-07-2020 at 02:33 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Hopefully everybody is now clear on what a Madras tip and a Plane Booster tip is, Madras dunlapped over the belt beer belly, and Plane Booster flat fit style.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by SMO22; 09-09-2020 at 04:51 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

The fastest way to tell for absolute certain is to stand at the front door and walk towards the wingtip.
    If you take five steps and hit your skull, its a Madras.
    If you take six steps and hit your skull its a Plane Booster.

Because the Plane Booster adds one additional rib bay to each wing, increasing the wingspan something like 26" compared to the Madras.
    Also, the landing lights are farther from the wingtip on a PB than Madras.

But really, it's all about hitting your skull on the damn things.

BTW, that's my '55 in the first image in post #10, with my two hangar mates at Johnson Creek ID about ten years ago.

Cheers,
    GG
    Glen Geller
    1955 PA22-150 "One For Papa!"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SMO22 View Post
    If we ever have Oshkosh or SnF again, take a look at the difference of the Madras and Plane Booster tips, the Madras is a large droop, an oval egg shaped from leading edge to trailing. The Plane Booster a lot less droop, strait back from leading to trailing edge, no oval shape, much less droop. Probably does not fly as well as it would with the correct part the STC calls for.
    Finally someone pointing out that we may never have either of those events again.
    Thought I was the only one.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mongoose09 View Post
    Finally someone pointing out that we may never have either of those events again.
    Thought I was the only one.
    We will, it will be back next summer I am betting.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Glen Geller View Post
    The fastest way to tell for absolute certain is to stand at the front door and walk towards the wingtip.
    If you take five steps and hit your skull, its a Madras.
    If you take six steps and hit your skull its a Plane Booster.

Because the Plane Booster adds one additional rib bay to each wing, increasing the wingspan something like 26" compared to the Madras.
    Also, the landing lights are farther from the wingtip on a PB than Madras.

But really, it's all about hitting your skull on the damn things.

BTW, that's my '55 in the first image in post #10, with my two hangar mates at Johnson Creek ID about ten years ago.

Cheers,
    GG
    I have Plane Booster tips, and I measured the wingspan, it is 30' and thats what the Manual says the original wingspan is also. What is the wingspan of a Madras tip plane? If they remove the bow tip and cut the spars off at the last full rib and add the droop tip you must lose almost a foot of each wing and be around 28 foot span?

The PB tips dont add span, just remove the bow tip and add a few inches af spar to put that extra rib where the bow tip was and than attach the droop tip so the droop is exactly where the tip of the bow curve was on the original wing, so the span is the same as the original wing. I thought the span was increased with the PB stc until I actually measured my span and found it exactly what the book says the origianal span is. Total wing area must be increased a couple square feet I think since the bow was replaced with square tip, not sure how thats measured, but span is very close to exactly what original span was on my airplane.
    Last edited by SMO22; 09-09-2020 at 04:58 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stevesaircraft(Bri) View Post
    Plane boosters original tip was a little deeper droop. After Cub Crafters bought the STC they revised the tip shape to be not so much of a droop and then re-certified it only to the PA-18.

This airplane looks like they replaced a tip with one of the Cub crafters tips and left the other side with the original tip.

Plus, those bungee cords are junk, replace them
    Before one breaks..

Brian

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Can you post some pictures of the new Cub Crafters Plane Booster STC tips if you have installed them, I would like to see how much different the droop is from the original Ferguson Plane Booster tips in all of these pictures. The only pictures I found were of the STC on their website, they are not good pictures. I have searched google and can not find any CC Cubs that even have them installed, all of the Plane Booster tip pictures in this thread are Ferguson Plane Booster tips.
    Last edited by SMO22; 09-09-2020 at 06:57 AM.