Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Somebody mixed pieces

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Somebody mixed pieces

The only picture I found of the Cub Crafters Booster tips was this Super Cub the tail number off the one on their site N1120U. Its still not close enough for a good look, but looks like the leading edge is still the same and no beer belly shape like Madras, but the rear tip of the droop looks like it is more flat of a droop, not so much downward, hard to tell without a close up pic.

Also found a couple more Super Cubs with the original Plane Booster tips, no beer gut like the Madras tips.

Last edited by SMO22; 09-09-2020 at 05:01 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SMO22 View Post
    I have Plane Booster tips, and I measured the wingspan, it is 30' and thats what the Manual says the original wingspan is also. What is the wingspan of a Madras tip plane? If they remove the bow tip and cut the spars off at the last full rib and add the droop tip you must lose almost a foot of each wing and be around 28 foot span?

The PB tips dont add span, just remove the bow tip and add a few inches af spar to put that extra rib where the bow tip was and than attach the droop tip so the droop is exactly where the tip of the bow curve was on the original wing, so the span is the same as the original wing. I thought the span was increased with the PB stc until I actually measured my span and found it exactly what the book says the origianal span is. Total wing area must be increased a couple square feet I think since the bow was replaced with square tip, not sure how thats measured, but span is very close to exactly what original span was on my airplane.
    Did you install them or buy it that way? Curious if you have a before and after comparison?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gilbert Pierce View Post
    Did you install them or buy it that way? Curious if you have a before and after comparison?

Purchased the plane with them installed. I just looked at the drawing and see the wingspan with original bow tip is only 29.26', which means the Ferguson Plane Booster tips must add almost 9 inches to the span, I will measure my span tomorrow, I think it was 30'

I didnt think they cut any spar material during the procedure, but they do cut 3" of spar cap strip during the spar extention, I am going to pull an inspection plate off tomorrow and look at the tip again.

Here are the instruction steps, it doesnt give a finished wingspan length, only the procedure and drawings.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

I also found a couple pictures of Pacer that might have the newer Cub Crafters Plane Booster stc, the droop does not look the same, its more like a bent down tip, maybe they tested it and found it performs better? I like the looks of it, wonder if it does give better performance?

Thats a tough looking pacer, I would like to have those tires and those wing tips, wonder if I found a pair of the new CC Booster tips if I could swap out my old Ferguson Booster tips and put these new ones on without having to buy the stc from CC?

Last edited by SMO22; 09-09-2020 at 08:00 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

My plane has the Ferguson Plane Booster Wing modification. With an interesting wing tip. The 337 shows the tips installed are not the usual Plane Boosters, they are Maule PT# 9040-2.

They have some droop, but not much. Looks like even less than a Plane Booster tip to me. They flare out on the trailing edge, so the wing span is different leading edge vs trailing edge. I measured the max span at 30'8". Also, the trailing edge is wider than the rest of the wing. It's an interesting tip. I found a guy who is making them out of carbon fiber. I don't have my notes handy and can't remember who.

Does anyone have a span measurement with Sullivan wing tips?

DSC_0008.JPG

DSC_0264_3.JPG

Here you can really see how the span increases toward the trailing edge.
    ac1591662410128328.jpg

And this one shows how the trailing edge is wider than the rest of the wing.
    DSC_0261_3.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Post Thanks / Like

Default Somebody mixed pieces

The Blue and White Pacer that was posted above is the one I installed CC tips on to replace the original plane booster tip.. it went through a ground loop and destroyed one of the originals... We just signed it off as a minor due to the STC... pretty sure I still have the other PB tip that survived the ground loop..

Brian

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk