Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New to the forum / landing gear?

Post Thanks / Like

Default New to the forum / landing gear?

Hello All,

I'm new to to the forum and thankful to have found it. I've read many of your posts and as expected there is so much useful information to digest. Currently we are in the process of figuring out what our next airplane will be and I'm interested in the Pacer. Our mission is primarily to play around on some grass strips and the the sand bars along a river that runs near us with the occasional cross country to visit family in both the Dallas area and Nebraska.

I've been keeping an eye on the usual classified sites and have noticed a few planes that might work for us. The biggest question I have is related to landing gear. How difficult (and rough cost) is it to modify to a heavier duty extended gear with bush tires on these airplanes? I'm hoping to end up in the range of 29 or 31 inch Alaska Bushwheels.

Thanks in advance for the help.

-Justin

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: New to the forum / landing gear?

https://www.trimmeraviation.com/gear.html

Convert Piper PA-22 Tri-Pacer to tail dragger with conventional gear. Installation of a PA-18 three inch extended landing gear with Maule oleo struts.
    Price - $750.

PA-18 Landing Gear, Cabane Vee, Tires and fabricated parts are available at Airframes Alaska, LLC.

STC is for the PA-16, PA-20, PA-22/20 and will allow the conversion from Tri-Pacer to Tail Dragger with conventional gear.
    "Progress is our most important problem"

Post Thanks / Like

You can run 31" bushwheels with the stock landing gear, no need for extending it and there is no STC for extended gear.

With that said, to run larger tires you need to have the landing gear strengthened/gusseted since the streamline tube is the weak point and will fail with the added stress of larger tires and off airport operations. This can be done by field approval and an experienced IA. In Alaska that upgrade runs around $1200.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by andya View Post
    https://www.trimmeraviation.com/gear.html

Convert Piper PA-22 Tri-Pacer to tail dragger with conventional gear. Installation of a PA-18 three inch extended landing gear with Maule oleo struts.
    Price - $750.

PA-18 Landing Gear, Cabane Vee, Tires and fabricated parts are available at Airframes Alaska, LLC.

STC is for the PA-16, PA-20, PA-22/20 and will allow the conversion from Tri-Pacer to Tail Dragger with conventional gear.
    Thank you Andya, I actually just found the trimmeraviation website and noticed the same. So are you familiar with this STC? Are there new landing gear attachment points required to accommodate the PA-18 gear?

Post Thanks / Like

not familiar with the STC but knowing Trimmer, I would guess he is using the same fuselage attach points.
    Can always give him a call, very helpful on almost any topic when you call him.
    "Progress is our most important problem"

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I ran stock gear and 29" Bushwheels on my Pacer for years. I did weld the ski tube between the rear gear tube and streamline but I really don't think it is necessary unless you side load it. The tires take most of the opps out of bei g applied to the gear.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    I ran stock gear and 29" Bushwheels on my Pacer for years. I did weld the ski tube between the rear gear tube and streamline but I really don't think it is necessary unless you side load it. The tires take most of the opps out of bei g applied to the gear.
    For those of us unfamiliar can you explain what you mean by "Ski Tube"?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

When people ground loop a short wing they side load the landing gear and the streamline tube gets compressed and bends. The tube is halfway up that tube and welded between it and the rear gear tube.

Post Thanks / Like

Is this something you need an STC for or field approval?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by andya View Post
    not familiar with the STC but knowing Trimmer, I would guess he is using the same fuselage attach points.
    Can always give him a call, very helpful on almost any topic when you call him.
    You can't put the 18 gear on the 22/20 without welding new attach points on.