Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New to the forum / landing gear?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: New to the forum / landing gear?

Quote Originally Posted by JPerkins View Post
    Yes the univair gear is wider than the original paced gear. You definitely want the skin tube reinforcement if your going to run oversize tires, look how much more of an arm they are compared to stock size. That means the same load imposed at the tread is multiplied at the axle with a taller tire.
    I used an Airframes Alaska heavy duty super cub spring, seems to be holding up well after 4 years 250 hours and a thousand landings.
    Is the AA super cub spring available for certified Pacers or is yours experimental? Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

I called them and asked for an owner produced tailspring for my pacer that matches the design specs of their HD super cub spring.

Sent from my SM-G930V using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

We are running a baby bushwheel with a new spring from Alaska Airframes, its holding up well.

I have seen one local Pacer that bent his landing gear just turning around at the fuel pump without it being reinforced but there are plenty out there running larger tires and doing off airport ops without reinforcement that are having no issues. I figured for the money it was worth it to not have that worry on my mind.

Post Thanks / Like

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Otto View Post
    JPerkins that is one really nice looking Pacer!

Iíve seen a Pacer for sale that was converted from a Tri-pacer with the Univair conversion. It looks to me like the gear is wider than a stock pacer, can anyone confirm that? Also wondering would either 29 or 31 Bush wheels work ok on this gear setup? Steve would you still recommend the ski tube reinforcements you mentioned previously?

For those of you who fly the off airport strips more often, are there any STCís for a beefier tail spring / tail wheel?

thanks
    Mine came with the baby bushwheel, itís great for landing in rough stuff.