Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tri Pacer Rear Seat Harness Options

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tri Pacer Rear Seat Harness Options

Short Wing Friends, your help is needed!
    To better protect rear seated passengers, I would like to install H or Y type shoulder harnesses.
    On this and other forums, I could only find info on front seat installations.

Any ideas, tips and suggestions are very much appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Tri Pacer Rear Seat Harness Options

I think your best structural support would be the streamline tube that the seat sling is attached to. I believe it will be above most passenger's shoulders as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    I think your best structural support would be the streamline tube that the seat sling is attached to. I believe it will be above most passenger's shoulders as well.
    Thank you for the advice. Seems like a very plausible solution. Can I just buy any H-style harnesses available for the Tri Pacer and loop the shoulder straps around the said tube and a A&P mechanic sign-off?

Do you know if this has been done before? Does some aftermarket supplier have an STC for mounting the harness to this tube.

(I would still have to find a location for attaching the two lap belts in the center as currently it is a single belt for two passengers)

Thank you very much again for the answer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Logbook entry. Look at this document and the AC 43.13-2B.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you very much!

Post Thanks / Like

Still looking for Pacer and Tri Pacer owners to share their experience on rear seat harness installations.

Post Thanks / Like

I took some time to work through this thread. I think there's something in there regarding rear seat install. Maybe I'm mistaken but I thought there was some discussion regarding the geometry of the rear seat area and optimal function of a harness...maybe somewhere along the lines of what steve mentioned above concerning most folks shoulder height?
    https://www.shortwingpipers.org/foru...oulder+harness

Post Thanks / Like

If you have the PA-22 parts catalog, go to section III, Figure 11, index 12. The Piper P/N for the rear seat Shoulder harness is 13129-05. The affected S/N is 22-2424 and up, so it is not new and should not be hard.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 59pacer View Post
    i'm in europe at the moment, so i couldn't give you exact dimensions for another month, but generally speaking, i had brackets welded to the streamlined cross piece when the aircraft was being rebuilt.
    Then i made up two short lengths of 1/8" 7 x 19 cable with shackles at both ends.
    One end attaches to the bracket, then runs through a neat hole in the back panel of the 'parcel shelf' to attach to the y type shoulder harness.
    I had an aeronautical engineer look over the modification and he was happy.
    I can't see why you couldn't replace the welded bracket with a strap around the tube. Ac43 should give a number of options there.
    thank you for your help!👍😀

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wag-builder View Post
    If you have the PA-22 parts catalog, go to section III, Figure 11, index 12. The Piper P/N for the rear seat Shoulder harness is 13129-05. The affected S/N is 22-2424 and up, so it is not new and should not be hard.
    Thank you so much. Will search!