Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Struts rubbing each other?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Struts rubbing each other?

I noticed the inboard ends of my Univair left wing struts look like they have rubbed together in the past. They aren't actually touching right now, as I can slide a piece of paper in between them, but they are very close to each other. Is this normal? The struts on the right side look more normal, maybe 3/8" apart at the closest. There's no noticeable play in the fork bolt holes or the wing mount holes. The plane flies straight, hands off with the ball centered.

struts1.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Struts rubbing each other?

If they have rubbed together you will see paint rubbed off. If paint is not rubbed off you are OK but, this should be watched. If it does rub together maybe someone has solved this problem. I would try using a vise, a shapped wooden block on one side and heat on the other side......very carefully. I would not grind.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

Just thinking out loud.... but Looks like the fittings are nearly bottomed out (ie threaded all the way in).
    Have you checked the wing rigging?
    Maybe has a relatively flat dihedral ?
    Seems like mine have a few more threads showing, which would move the strut up and out and increase distance between them ?

Bryan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

It looks strange
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

What does the other wing look like?

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

I can get ny fingers between mine. I would question the rigging as the forks do look bottomed out.
    In one of Clyde Smith’s seminars he commented on this condition being caused by a tweaked fuselage.
    Mine have an equal # of threads on each side. It flies straight so if it’s not rubbing off paint go fly and enjoy it.
    Last edited by Gilbert Pierce; 09-10-2020 at 01:05 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

The other wing looks like what I would call "normal", though I don't have much to compare it to. I'll get some more pictures tonight after work. Dihedral? It has some. It does fly straight, so I'm also inclined to not fool with it unless it looks like a problem.
    20180606_183153.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

If you compare the Univair strut pictures linked above, they are not like the struts in your picture. I would return them and request the correct parts. Look at the welds and shape. I was asking what the struts looked like on the other side?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Oh interesting. I'll take a look underneath tonight. I do recall the weld bead being different on the right side struts, but not sure why. What I do know is that these struts are probably 10 years old, and they say FAA-PMA and have the circle "U" up at the wing end.