Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Struts rubbing each other?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Struts rubbing each other?

I horizontally flipped your rubbing struts picture so it looks like the good side to try and make it clear to you
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Same thing with the other two pictures, your left front strut is not the same as the right front.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe the sketch version will help

Post Thanks / Like

This shows a different dimension from the center of the threads to the edge of the strut in that area.
    on both pictures. would expect that dimension would be closer than my pic indicates assuming
    the pics were shot from same angle. Might be something else I am not seeing here.

Looked at my struts and I do not have many threads showing but my dihedral is per rigging instructions
    "Progress is our most important problem"

Post Thanks / Like

Every front strut in this thread has the back or trailing edge running flush with the jam nut, every front strut EXCEPT for his left front strut, it juts outward and than starts the trailing edge. An obvious difference between his struts in the post he made a few days ago.
    Last edited by PA-16; 09-13-2020 at 06:34 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

The left strut trailing edge should be the red line, flush with the jam nut, than it would be like all the other front struts pictured, it was not made correct. If the right front strut was on the left side it would have the normal gap and not rub against the back strut.

Post Thanks / Like

Good detective work. Fascinating.... Maybe the jig was misaligned when they welded the fork socket into the strut at the factory? Thank you PA16 and the rest of you that shared pictures. I'm still going to check rigging since I've got to level it anyway to weigh it. I'm curious if I'll find anything off.

Post Thanks / Like

This doesn't quite fit here but thought I would put here since it this is the most recent strut thread. Any way I was looking at a Clipper over the weekend and found these straps on the struts. Any one know if these are a legal modification?

Dave
    clipper strut straps.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know much about Clippers, but I think that picture will give a few on here a heart attack.....I would say nooooo!

Post Thanks / Like

Not airworthy by any stretch of the FAR’s That is just plain scary. Who ever did that must be unaware of the tension the forks have to pass through to the carry through structure. 😧😧