Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Crosswinds STOL Flap/Aileron gap seal

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crosswinds STOL Flap/Aileron gap seal

Does anyone have pictures of the underside of wing flap and ailerons with the Crosswinds STOL FLAP & AILERON SEAL installed.

I am looking for specific details of how the seals are installed to verify the length of each piece.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Crosswinds STOL Flap/Aileron gap seal

Do you have the STC paperwork? It shows that in detail. Much better than a picture could. They are kind of hidden up inside the gap.
    I have the flap seals installed. I need to reinstall the ailerons.
    Last edited by Marc Davis; 09-14-2020 at 05:51 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Davis View Post
    Do you have the STC paperwork? It shows that in detail. Much better than a picture could. They are kind of hidden up inside the gap.
    I have the flap seals installed. I need to reinstall the ailerons.

Actually I do have instructions & a 337. BUT no STC with aircraft records. Flaps were modified, cuffs and the stall fence brackets were installed and a recover done at same time, but wings were never installed. FAA Records CD had copies of STOL & recover, both indicating installed 7/26/96.

The last entry in the aircraft log book was dated 11-9-68 and aircraft had been stored inside until 2018-19 time frame.

The false spar extension @ wing root to fuselage was not finished but flaps were modified per instructions. The flap seals were not installed since the wings had not been reinstalled and the flap/aileron gap seals were missing.

I spoke with Charlie Center @ Crosswinds STOL for info, told him what I have, asked if there was a record of the STC for the install. His comment was that it was so long ago, & 4 secretaries later, he did not know where to look. Sold the me a set of new gap seals, and a copy of the STC to go with the 337 that was on the records CD.

The missing detail that I did not have was the length of the seals, where to cut for length between hinge points. I called again and spoke with "Mike" and he told me they no longer use the spray adhesive because it was so messy. They now use 1/2" wide aluminum strips & PK x1/4 screw @ +/- 3" on center to secure aluminum & fabric to the false spar. They use aluminum pop rivets to attach seals to the flap & aileron.

If you don't mind, I would like to see how your flap seals look installed, from bottom flaps down and or top flaps retracted.
    you can text to me @ 509 521 7619

Bob

Post Thanks / Like

Sure. I'll send you some pics. I will get out to the hangar this week. BTW, my paperwork was missing off the FAA database. I suspect my wings were from a different aircraft and the paperwork was done "creatively". Charley also sold me a copy of the STC to make everything legal for a reasonable price. Very nice of him.
    Last edited by Marc Davis; 09-15-2020 at 12:30 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Marc. About ready to roll out mine, when wind goes away. My weight came in @ 1150 zero fuel with 6 qts oil. New Air-Tex front seat finally arrived. Looking for what you have for performance numbers. Gap seals are done, & have the Madras tips with the Crosswinds.
    Never flown with CW STOL so if you could share your speeds would be appreciated. Stall speed? Thank

Post Thanks / Like

@c175skylark With two guys and full main tanks I stall at 39mph at 3000ft on a normal Oregon summer day, so about 65F and 20% humidity . I tried several stalls on different compass bearings and checked the airspeed indicator against the GPS. At the moment I don't have the gap seals in the ailerons. But I have the rest of the kit. I have minimized washout and dihedral and the rest of the rigging is spot on. Stalls are non events with no sharp break. Accelerated stalls have a soft break straight ahead with minimal if any rudder input needed. I have not tried spins.

Having flown at least 5 short wings, I don't think there is any big handling difference in normal flight with the STOL kit installed. The edge of the envelope is just a little further out. Have fun