Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Full Right Rudder if feet leave the pedals

Post Thanks / Like

Default Full Right Rudder if feet leave the pedals

PA-22-150 re-rigged, interconnects fine, but still have the problem where the rudder goes full right in two seconds if I take my feet off the pedals. Requires more than a resting foot (some pressure) on the left rudder pedal to keep the ball centered.

Any clues would be helpful, As I hope to make a Yuma, AZ to Yukon, Canada run in mid October. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Full Right Rudder if feet leave the pedals

Do you really mean when you put your feet on the floor the rudder goes to a hardover right position.
    That seems that it would be a pretty violent yaw. Presume the left rudder pedal would have to come full aft.
    If above is true I would think the aircraft would not track straight while taxiing.
    Are the rudder pedal return spring the same tension?
    Normally if he aircraft has the ball centered the aircraft will remain wings level hands off.
    Does it do that?

Going to need more information if aircraft was rigged properly per your first statement.
    "Progress is our most important problem"

Post Thanks / Like

Read the last line of the rigging instructions where it says that going thru the rigging procedure fly the airplane and make any additional adjustments necessary. If is is flying wings level hands off but left rudder pressure you to need to adjust the leading edge of the fin to the left.

Post Thanks / Like

Was re-rigged at annual this Spring and yes, would have to keep it from veering right with taxi, takeoff, and landing.
    Just had it re-rigged and it now tracks perfectly during taxi, takeoff, and landing...such a relief!
    However, in flight it will go to a hardover right position right away without left pressure. A&P is trying to figure out why.
    I'll take it back up on a calm day to see if I need any aileron with the ball centered. Thx!

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

Check the springs from the pedals to the firewall, the left one may have failed.

......Sorry for the bum advice, didn't notice the nose wheel mention.
    Last edited by Jim; 09-14-2020 at 07:16 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

The Tripacer does not have return springs on the rudder pedals because of the nose wheel steering rods. Do the pedals actually move or are you just seeing a yaw? Like Gilbert said, you probably need to adjust the vertical fin.

Post Thanks / Like

This sounds like a broken aileron interconnect or maybe the "balance"(above the stabilizer) of the rudder is bent with respect to the rest of the rudder.
    Todd Loes -- Waterloo, IA
    (PA22-150 N3568Z)

Post Thanks / Like

The pedals move along with the rudder.
    The tail is slightly angled top-left when viewed from the rear. I never noticed that before it was re-rigged twice. Shouldn't the tail be verticle, and any adjustment be made while it remains verticle?

Post Thanks / Like

You can get a rigging CD from the SWPC that goes through the rigging process, but yes the vertical fin should indeed be vertical. There is a tension that should be applied to the tail brace wires but I don't have it on the top of my head and need to look it up. Make sure the structure of the rudder is sound from the upper hinge up.