Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I need some help with my first trip in my "new" Pacer

Post Thanks / Like

Default I need some help with my first trip in my "new" Pacer

Greetings all! I need some help, but if this is the wrong place for this thread, please just let me know and it will quietly disappear (or move to the right place).

I recently acquired a Pacer (you can see my thread about a pre-buy in San Diego area for that), and the only current problem is that it is 2000 miles away! The airplane is in central California, and I am in eastern Kentucky. My Dad and I will be flying it home (probably over three days) fairly soon. So, what do I need help with? Well, I'm glad you asked!

Because I do not have great knowledge of such a vast area, I'm in search of some knowledge. I need to know of some airports between California and Kentucky, preferably north of Interstate 40 and south of Interstate 70. I can get gasoline plenty of places, but I'm particularly looking for some airports that have spots to camp with the airplane, and showers would be nice. Really nice. If I can get some information on just a couple of airports with all three amenities that would be absolutely ideal for my planning purposes. Also, because I'm a recovering cheapskate, if you have information concerning these airports regarding any ramp fees, that would be great too.

If I left out any pertinent information, please let me know. Thanks for any and all help! I've got actual airplane questions too, but I'll deal with those later.

Post Thanks / Like

Default I need some help with my first trip in my "new" Pacer

Quote Originally Posted by nogoodusernames View Post
    Greetings all! I need some help, but if this is the wrong place for this thread, please just let me know and it will quietly disappear (or move to the right place).

I recently acquired a Pacer (you can see my thread about a pre-buy in San Diego area for that), and the only current problem is that it is 2000 miles away! The airplane is in central California, and I am in eastern Kentucky. My Dad and I will be flying it home (probably over three days) fairly soon. So, what do I need help with? Well, I'm glad you asked!

Because I do not have great knowledge of such a vast area, I'm in search of some knowledge. I need to know of some airports between California and Kentucky, preferably north of Interstate 40 and south of Interstate 70. I can get gasoline plenty of places, but I'm particularly looking for some airports that have spots to camp with the airplane, and showers would be nice. Really nice. If I can get some information on just a couple of airports with all three amenities that would be absolutely ideal for my planning purposes. Also, because I'm a recovering cheapskate, if you have information concerning these airports regarding any ramp fees, that would be great too.

If I left out any pertinent information, please let me know. Thanks for any and all help! I've got actual airplane questions too, but I'll deal with those later.
    There is an FB group (if youre on FB), “Airplane Camping” that has a file slowly being put together of airports across the US that have on-field camping. Might be a good place to start. Here is an excerpt from that file.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by flynfish; 09-13-2020 at 03:56 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: I need some help with my first trip in my "new" Pacer

I'm not normally on the Book of Faces, but that spreadsheet right there is enough to draw me in...

I just applied for membership to the group. Let's hope they like my answers to the entry questions.

A thousand thanks!
    Last edited by nogoodusernames; 09-13-2020 at 05:15 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Most nice FBO have a pilot lounge with comfortable recliners, and showers, call and ask if you can crash... sleep in the lounge and leave in the am. If you tell them you are buying 100 dollars gas they may say come on in. They are usually open all night anyway, unless corona virus has closed them.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

You'll also find most s maller airports have courtesy cars for free usage, just gas up some. From late in the day until early morning hours occasionally they'll let you overnight with them too.
    Last edited by Jim; 09-13-2020 at 07:00 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I don’t travel all that much but I don’t think I have ever seen a shower at an airport. The only place I can think of that might have had one wanted $25 for me to stop and use the restroom. It was a pretty fancy place that appeared to mostly cater to corporate pilots and their jets. They treated me good but I felt out of place with the rented Skyhawk. I didn’t see anywhere a person could pitch a tent.

Post Thanks / Like

I flew from Bakersfield, CA to Eufaula, OK following I-40 about 15 years ago but I stopped where I could get a room for the night. NE Oklahoma has a couple of good airports not far off I-44. Miami and Grove come immediately to mind. The last I heard, Vinita does not have fuel but there is a McDonald’s right there. Gundy’s would likely be camper friendly but I don’t know what kind of services are available. Further south is Muskogee. Cushing isn’t bad. One nice concrete runway and 3 grass runways there. I don’t know about after hours access. Some places have code locks on the doors so pilots can get in. Sometimes the code is posted in pilot speak or there is a phone number to call to get the code. I believe Clinton, MO (KGLY) is set up that way and has lots of grass to camp on if desired. Fulton, MO might be another possibility in the specified corridor. Lamar made a nice fuel stop but I never checked out anything except the fuel pump (it’s just like any pump in town, I don’t understand why more airports can’t be that way). Most of my experience is north of 70 in MO or between 40 and 44 in eastern OK.

Probably too far South of I-40 in eastern OK but Stigler has a nice building with 24 hour access and $3 gas (7000 gallons remaining). Eufaula (F0eight) has a building with access. Fuel tank is set up and waiting on a state permit to turn on so no fuel at the moment. I don’t think anyone would care if you camped at either.
    Last edited by Jeff J; 09-14-2020 at 08:58 AM. Reason: Stinking emojis keep replacing what I type

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff J View Post
    I don’t travel all that much but I don’t think I have ever seen a shower at an airport. The only place I can think of that might have had one wanted $25 for me to stop and use the restroom. It was a pretty fancy place that appeared to mostly cater to corporate pilots and their jets. They treated me good but I felt out of place with the rented Skyhawk. I didn’t see anywhere a person could pitch a tent.
    ABQ will have 24 hour fbo Atlantic or Cutter, and the showers are in the pilot lounge with the recliners and big tv. Same with MEM, have fun get some bbq, its Wilson Air in MEM

Post Thanks / Like

There is a shower for pilots and a "lounge" with a couple recliners at KCPK. Can't say I have ever seen anyone use it. I can't imagine anyone charging $25 for using the restroom.

Post Thanks / Like

AOPA has some online flight planning programs, I think you can enter parameters like fuel type, onsite amenities, etc.
    Give it a bash.
    Good luck on your trip, I imagine it will be delayed until the fires are out in the west (I'm in Oregon, hoping for that rain everyone thinks is non-stop - it ain't) the smoke has dissipated and there is good weather.

Bring all your credit cards as there may not be camping - or camping weather - on all your legs and you may need to spring for hotel.
    Look at airfield that have vacant covered tie-downs, those are also good for camping.
    If you arrive late and push you plane into an obviously vacant spot and sleep under the wing, be sure to have a good story for the airport manager or sheriff in the morning.

GG
    Glen Geller
    1955 PA22-150 "One For Papa!"