Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Cold cylinder on mag check

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Cold cylinder on mag check

It is the exact thing a bad plug wire will do . Mine was shorted under the ferrel and you couldnt see the burned out area going directly to ground

Post Thanks / Like

yea, that’s why I just spent the $$$ for new Ignition harnesses.

As for the carb, it works for now. I would like to get flying again and tackle that a bit down the load. Ly-Con will be getting my cylinders next annual to replace the valve guides so I will have them overhaul the carb at the same time.

the biggest issue I am going to have is getting this thing signed off and back in the air without a local mechanic. Please, if anyone knows someone in the Northern California area, please put me in contact with them!! Or if anyone wants to come out and lend a hand, I will gladly make it worth your trouble! Fire department ride along with pictures and stickers included!!!!
    Last edited by FFSchooley; 09-19-2020 at 09:45 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Sometimes I have to read and re-read posts several times before picking up on all that is said, so forgive me if my suggestion is from left field.

Is it possible you are "condemning" the wrong mag?? As I read your symptoms, it just HAS to be a bad plug or lead (or cracked distributor block, long shot). My first action would have been to swap the #2 plugs (top to bottom), just because, in my mind, plugs give the most trouble.

When you replaced the harness, both mags, or just the "bad one".

You said the P leads were initially crossed; was it that way from when you bought the plane? Is it possible the leads had been crossed between the switch and the firewall, and the prev owner's remedy was to 'reverse' them again between the firewall and mags? Should be pretty easy to confirm with an ohm meter that the switch is in fact grounding out the 'correct' mag (ie "R" = left mag grounded)

Now that I have sufficiently muddied the water, I will sign off.

Good Luck!

Post Thanks / Like

Is it possible that I am backwards with the mags? Yes, I guess so? I don’t think so, but it’s possible. When timing the engine I had the leads backwards under the dash. Once I swapped them, we were able to time it with a buzz box so in pretty sure they are correct, but I will triple check. I bought new ignition harnesses (not wires, harnesses with caps) so just to be sure I will replaced the other harness as well on Monday just to be absolutely sure, as well as confirm with an ohm meter. As far as the plugs, I swapped a known working plug with the #2 plug. If the plug was bad, it would have changed cylinders, and it did not. So plugs are good.
    Last edited by FFSchooley; 09-19-2020 at 10:11 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree it is not a problem with the plug (or the harness) IF you are in fact running on the magneto you THINK you are running on.

My whole 'rant' was just to suggest to make certain the switch is indeed indicating correctly.

Post Thanks / Like

I will be sure to do one final check before condemning the mag. Thanks for looking out!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I agree that all new wires should fix it but you can have a new wire bad out of the box . Easy test , swap the wire from the cold cylinder to a good one . See if that one goes cold . If not , swap the plug if you havent . If its still there it should be a mag because it does seem spark related

Post Thanks / Like

Yea, I guess that’s possible. When I install the other harness I will swap them out to further narrow it down.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Who put the springs in at the end of the wires ? Thats where it can go wrong . If That spring isnt in the core and has penetrated the insulation from the inside it will burn through and go to ground

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Also the ferrel can be in the wrong spot making the spring too far out not allowing it to fire . Just some random thoughts that you can check for free .