Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Pardon my Rant

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Pardon my Rant

IMG_0668.JPG

Steve's tip about rubbing compound cleaned it up pretty good. I have one of those Preval spray systems recommended by JasonP. and I mixed the dope/thinner last night and did some test spraying. That thing works great ! A mini paint gun. Plan to use scotchbrite to scuff up around the area then paint with colored butyrate . I like your Idea of cork Glen and was thinking something like felt or cork should do the trick. unfortunately I do see cracks forming on the rib stiches on the two inboard ribs
    Last edited by sierrasplitter; 09-30-2020 at 07:35 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Use a tape edge as your break point for your paint line, hides it better.

Sent from my SM-G930V using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

What about rejuvenator ? I have these cracks going on in the landing gear. Can rejuvenator be rubbed on this area and repainted or should it be sanded down and repainted ?
    I hope to
    make a couple of videos on this if I get it right . For the new aircraft owner that doesnt have a clue

Post Thanks / Like

Use pinking shears to cut your masking tape edges and then your new paint edge will look like finishing tape instead of a straight edge. Make it a circle around the inspection hole and no one will ever notice.
    Last edited by FFSchooley; 09-30-2020 at 06:17 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sierrasplitter View Post
    What about rejuvenator ? I have these cracks going on in the landing gear. Can rejuvenator be rubbed on this area and repainted or should it be sanded down and repainted ?
    I hope to
    make a couple of videos on this if I get it right . For the new aircraft owner that doesnt have a clue
    I had a rather large crack on my vertical stabilizer. I sprayed it with rejuvenator and waited a few minutes then sort of pushed the softened dope together and smeared it together to close the crack (use a nitrile gloved hand). Afterward a little light sanding and a coat of colored dope. Now even I have a hard time telling where it was.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Afterward a little light sanding and a coat of colored dope. Now even I have a hard time telling where it was.
    YES !! Did it look like this?

IMG_0586[1].JPG
    Last edited by sierrasplitter; 09-30-2020 at 02:41 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I actually think it was worse than that. I don't know how long it will last but the rejuvenator did the trick.

Post Thanks / Like

Is there a rejuvenator for dope finishes? I know there is for polytone but have not seen any for dope finishes.

Post Thanks / Like

One of the things I love about polytone. A rag with acetone and just a few minutes and your back to clean white fabric and you can reshoot it without adding a ton of weight. I have used acetone on a brush and swirled it around a little bit to "melt" the polytone back together then used a foam brush to blend in new topcoat. If the rest of the finish is not faded really bad you can get a pretty decent field fix really easy.

A good wash job with a scotch pad and soapy water does pretty darn good to take off the oxidation as well, just don't scrub really hard on it unless your ready to reshoot the whole area.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Last edited by sierrasplitter; 09-30-2020 at 05:57 PM.