Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: 24 Gal Fuel Tank Install

Post Thanks / Like

Default 24 Gal Fuel Tank Install

Hello All,
    We are installing the 24 gal DC fuel tank as we rebuild a pacer. We are getting ready to match drill the tank cover but are worried the tank is not in the right position. The rear of the tank sits level with the tank ribs and worried the cover will make contact with the straps. What is normal? We tried moving the tank but with carry through bar there does not seem to be a lot of options.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: 24 Gal Fuel Tank Install

Are you sure it's a 24 gallon tank, and not a 23 gallon tank as seen at bottom of Dakota Cub's website?
    https://dakotacub.com/index.php?rout...ategory&path=8

From what I found on the interwebs, they made 24 gallon tanks for the Top Cub and PA18 some years ago, there's even a service bulletin on those.
    http://cubcrafters.com/c/wp-content/.../11/sb0003.pdf

I think your best bet is to contact Dakota Cub and see if they have installation advice.

GG
    Glen Geller
    1955 PA22-150 "One For Papa!"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Glen Geller View Post
    Are you sure it's a 24 gallon tank, and not a 23 gallon tank as seen at bottom of Dakota Cub's website?
    ehh, it started as 24 gal and then was marketed as 23 gal. I was hoping that someone who has rebuilt a wing would chime in on how their tank fit or how they got it to move. I can't really see where its possible to get the tank to sit further down on the straps in the back.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have an oak board that is carved to a point that I use to move the tank around in the bay getting it centered and then tighten down the straps to get it to lay down in the bay. I do not use the felt that Dakota Cub uses but use the SAE50 felt that Piper used. It takes some time ad back and forth but is worth it because I have seen plenty of Pipe tanks rub the tank cover ribs on the tank and had to weld on the tank.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    I have an oak board that is carved to a point that I use to move the tank around in the bay getting it centered and then tighten down the straps to get it to lay down in the bay. I do not use the felt that Dakota Cub uses but use the SAE50 felt that Piper used. It takes some time ad back and forth but is worth it because I have seen plenty of Pipe tanks rub the tank cover ribs on the tank and had to weld on the tank.
    Thank you! This was really the information I was looking for.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

IMG_20201003_090657.jpg
    IMG_20201003_090702.jpg
    I sell the SAE50 felt on my website PierceAero.com

Post Thanks / Like

My DC tank install was tight. I was able to lower the bottom strap enough for clearance for the lid as well as the cross tube. It took a number of tries. Don't forget to put padding on the cross tubes to protect the tank.

I use 47 gallons as my capacity.

These tanks really pay off on my trips into the back country.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."