Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Insurance claim fiasco

Buena Vista, CO (primary) and Hallettsville, Texas
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Insurance claim fiasco

Some of you may have seen my post on the fabric separation (above the windscreen) which resulted in some serious control issues (had to declare emergency). I filed a claim with AIG and they are trying to avoid paying for the full cost of the repair because the fabric is 10y old. That is "if" they agree to the repair (not sure at this point). Superflight II cover on my plane has no life time limit and the plane was restored in 2010 to as new condition (firewall back restoration). It has always been hangared and is a low total time, pristine airplane. Anybody who sees it, will agree that its as close to a "10" as you can get. AIG is really trying to screw me over claiming that the repair is subject to a 'wear and tear' argument. I pay premium hull insurance on this plane because it is so nice. As I see it, AIG must think I'm flying a crappy old cotton covered Tripacer and I'm trying to get AIG to somehow restore the plane on an insurance claim. In reality, AIG has the obligation to fix the damage and return the airplane to the same condition as before the accident (see pictures). I'm not being unreasonable. We are all flying older vintage airplanes and Shortwing members should be aware of the machinations the insurance claim adjusters. The matter is unresolved at this point but I'll be seeking legal redress. Buyer beware!! Anybody ever deal with insurance claims? Input appreciated.
    Mark

IMG_0047.jpeg IMG_1159.jpeg IMG_1122.jpeg
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Insurance claim fiasco

I ground looped in Oct 2018 Had AIG ( through Bill White )
    They paid all the claim , no hesitation
    Shop was West Coast Air Creations Flaybob
    0 1

Post Thanks / Like

might see if they will send an adjuster out so he can see the damage and great condition of the plane otherwise
    "Progress is our most important problem"
    0 1

Post Thanks / Like

Keep hammering on them. I got the same run-around when the rear driveshaft was stolen from my 1972 Chevy Blazer -- in 1988. Ins carrier claimed "betterment" -- putting a new part on an old vehicle. Truth was, replacement driveshafts --even in junkyards-- were simply NOT available. I had to have one made. I kept that truck in great shape, finally retired it in 2003, after over 30 years of use.

After a very terse letter to the insurance company (at my independent agent's urging) explaining the lack of availability of a replacement, they finally paid.
    0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have worked with most all of the major insurance companies over the years. As an example we had a retractable landing gear airplane belly in from a mechanical issue. They did not pay to fix the mechanical issue that caused the accident but did pay for the repairs that were a result of the mechanical failure. Have seen the same thing on an engine failure, they don't pay to repair the engine but pay for any damage that was a result of the emergency landing.
    0 1

Post Thanks / Like

I deal with extended warranties with automotive with our customers and our own shop insurance and learned a thing or two over the years. It's all in the wording when presented to the insurance.
    If a mechanic closes the shop door on a car because he wasnt paying attention, it's not covered. If a broom falls over and hits the close button, than it is covered.
    Sad but probably true. Had you presented a claim that something in the hangar fell and tore the fabric, it would've been covered.

Jan
    ​Jan
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like

Was the trim strip installed (AD 74-17-04) that is supposed to keep the fabric from peeling back? Thatís what happened in the only case where I have first hand knowledge. The owner and another A&P repaired the fabric and installed the trim strip without filing a claim with the insurance company.

Was there any damage to the airframe other than the peeled fabric? If the fabric failed because the airplane didnít have all of itís pieces installed (not airworthy) and there wasnít any other damage then I can both see and understand why the insurance company is balking at paying for it. It wouldnít be any different than the engine example Steve put forth above. Possibly worse if the trim strip wasnít installed.
    "Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement." - Fred Brooks
    0 1

Post Thanks / Like

Trim strip is only legally required with cotton fabric according to the AD.
    0 3

Post Thanks / Like

I stand corrected. Is the trim strip shown in the latest parts manual for the aircraft?
    "Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement." - Fred Brooks
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like

I just looked at the AD to see if there was any service bulletins or letters referenced. The only one is SL 362A which applies to the PA24. Anyone happen to know what the correct service document might be?

I think there has been enough of these failures to warrant some service difficulty reports and possibly an update to the AD to include all fabric systems.
    0 0