Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Yamaha Apex on an experimental short wing(ish)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Yamaha Apex on an experimental short wing(ish)

I am doing some "hangar planning" for my next experimental build.I am an A&P, working on a 4 month on/off overseas contract. I've built most of 3 Cubs (2 certified, 1 experimental) and did work on a tail dragger Colt and a Tri-Pacer, and am finally thinking about working on something for myself.After looking at my own needs, I have narrowed it down to either a PA11/PA18-95 clone or a stretched Vagabond clone with Cub-length wings.I've been out of civil aviation since 2008, and was not surprised to see that several new alternative engines have become available, and am intrigued with the Yamaha Apex conversions being flown right now. They appear to weigh just under 200 pounds, fwf all inclusive, and put out 150 hp reliably without power adders. Total cost appears to in the $13-15k range if one builds up the fwf. $20k or so if you pay someone else to do it.Has anyone else been looking at these? Anyone flying a Shortwing Piper behind one?My goal is to keep the bird light, and I was planning on using an O-200 to keep it LSA qualified.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Yamaha Apex on an experimental short wing(ish)

I know Steve Henry and have flown the last 3 contests with him. Granted he is getting the very most out of his Apex but I would not want to engineer everything, MAP the engine etc, etc. I am better at tried and true, build the airplane and go fly. It is amazing to watch but I don't have the kind of time Steve has put into his. The other thing is the number of these flying, a handful maybe? Steve has trailered his to both the Gainsville, TX and ArkanSTOL event and only had 40 some odd hours on it as of that Saturday night after the ArkanSTOL event.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, if I were going to go with the Apex, the point would be to do something unique, and to do some exploration.O-200 would be the easy button, for sure.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 120mm View Post
    Yeah, if I were going to go with the Apex, the point would be to do something unique, and to do some exploration.O-200 would be the easy button, for sure.
    There are ways to up the hp on an 0-200.
    Last edited by Stephen; 10-09-2020 at 10:18 AM.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
    There are ways to up the up on an 0-200.
    Yeah, I originally wanted a C90, but those are becoming super hard to find. I figured I could put a better cam in the O200 get the same thing, more or less.

The small continentals just seem to be circling the drain, maintenance wise. I'm just interested in more modern solutions to committing aviation.