Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Possible resurrection

Post Thanks / Like

Default Possible resurrection

Hi All
    As some of you know my Tripacer met with an unfortunate incident around CDN Thanksgiving one year ago. something about a partner learning the hard way about dew point spread and carb icing. thank God that he walked away- that is what is important
    Yesterday the gentleman who bought it from the Insurance company donated it to the flying club that I belong to( less engine) he just can't get it across the US/ Canada border. COV-ID restrictions.

anyways the club asked me to have a look at the plane and see if it is worth rebuilding. the fuse escaped with some boot cowl denting and a broken windshield. Pretty minor actually......
    the wings definitely need the fabric removed and a good inspection- strongly suspect spar damage on one wing and the other wing has some wing tip damage.
    since we have only about 60 hours on it since the last rebuild- I'm thinking that it is parts replacement exercise- Univair and Dakota Cub will become our friend LOL.

can anyone give me a ball park figure on a rudder and nose gear mount( the wheel ,scissors. wheel yoke bearings and chrome tube etc are all serviceable).

it had the light struts on it: and I know that you folks will say upgrade to lifetime but light ones will be ok( the NDT guy I know does it for a VERY reasonable price)
    Figured it would take me 30 years to break even- yes i'm cheap

oh yeah- what is a serviceable 0-320-A2b worth.

thanks Guys

Shane-o

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Possible resurrection

Good to see you might have her back in action Shane, have you given thought to OM.....it might be worth it for you.
    have you checked with Dave F. for an engine?

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Forrest

CF-UWA is no longer mine- it is the Innisfail Flying Clubs now. I can only provide rather biased advice( I wanna see it fly again). I took the fabric off the wings and one wing has tip damage and the other needs a front spar and pretty well all the ribs from the fuel bay outward need replacing. did a quick add up of parts( wing parts, fabric, windscreen etc- about 7.5K. plus an engine and we are looking at about 25- 30K total. that is about what the airplane flying is worth...
    It's a club decision. we have some gung-ho members that want to rebuild it but we know about snowballs...... lol

still need that Gipsy Major carb rebuilt.....

take care
    Shane-o

Post Thanks / Like

a quote on the Engine- 0 time- 0-320- a2b----- outright with no core
    25k CDN

deep depression heavy sigh

Post Thanks / Like

Just suggest they rebuild it, Shane. It's going to be worth more in the future. I bought my plane for 16k in 2016. Now have over 55k in it. I would take a loss to sell it but I'm not planning to sell it. I plan to fly it. My PA22-150 rocks. Still spending money on it. Try to find a 172 for that money (club money) that can do what a PA22 can do for money spent. Figure your repair goes to $32 to 35K. So what. It's a club. People get enthused and work together. They will collectively know more about PA22's than most people and many may choose to buy one after having worked on one and de-mystified the ownership and repair process if it comes to that in the future. That enthusiasm and camaraderie is worth something. If the club has the money, I say spend it and have fun. The value is more than the simple hardware. It's a flying club, right? Rebuild the plane is my vote. Teach them how to repair fabric planes. Fly the crap out of it. Some on this site might volunteer to help with recovering the wings, etc.