Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Quad ring Tripacer Nose gear

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Quad ring Tripacer Nose gear

Ah OK! I remember that someone used red silicone rings, I wrote here some months ago....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrBill View Post
    Has anyone ever gotten that seal in there without having to trim it? I looked at mine and thought, no way..must need trimming. I wish I at least worked up a sweat trying because I have just returned from the field I landed in with the strut in my truck ready to do it all over again
    I DID!!!!!!!
    I knew the damn thing would fit. They make em the right size for a reason. I forgot how much overlap there was but it seems like it was close to an inch.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Glen Geller View Post
    Hi Alessandro,
    Good work so far.
    I thought about a convoluted boot (like on motorcycle forks) to protect the nose strut from contamination, but have found after nearly twenty years that is not really necessary.
    The leather seal was a wiper to keep dirt and sand etc from damaging the O-rings that seal the strut.
    This has been superseded by a X-ring, the quad seal you mentioned.
    It comes as a length of material, you need to very carefully cut it with a razor blade to length, so it just fits in the groove.
    It's not supporting the strut, so if you cut a bit too much it still works but it's best to get it ~1% too long and a snug fit in the groove.

A santé,
    Glen in Oregon
    Good advice Glen. Looking at the Piper drawing the length of the wiper to be purchased is 5-1/4".
    The one I cut a few months back just touches the 5-1/2" mark. I cannot say that that is where I was losing the oil, probably not..er Most probably not.
    This time around I started my tear down while my mind was occupied elsewhere and I pulled the bolt at the block/tube assy. and gave it a couple wacks then woke up to what I was doing. Well without knowing I caused the plug, that is also attached by that bolt, to slide up to the other end of the tube. When I pulled it apart there lay this plug that I never saw before, ha! It does not show the plug in the Piper Tri-p manual and the way the Piper drawing is it is kinda hard to pick up there. You would think that the plug's O-ring would be included along with the other serviceable items. I am surprised oil does not pour out the bottom when that O-ring dies?
    Am I missing or confusing the layout? I waited for this to really bother me before posting another dumb thought here but most likely not long enough.

Post Thanks / Like

I didn’t have time yet to test the nose gear, till now no leak. After 5 days the pressure is the same.
    We will see.
    Probably this weekend I will do some flights.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando ShortWingPipers.Org

Post Thanks / Like

Don't get oil on your pretty pants! (fairing)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrBill View Post
    This time around I started my tear down while my mind was occupied elsewhere and I pulled the bolt at the block/tube assy. and gave it a couple wacks then woke up to what I was doing. Well without knowing I caused the plug, that is also attached by that bolt, to slide up to the other end of the tube. When I pulled it apart there lay this plug that I never saw before, ha! It does not show the plug in the Piper Tri-p manual and the way the Piper drawing is it is kinda hard to pick up there. You would think that the plug's O-ring would be included along with the other serviceable items. I am surprised oil does not pour out the bottom when that O-ring dies?
    Am I missing or confusing the layout? I waited for this to really bother me before posting another dumb thought here but most likely not long enough.
    Bill,
    Can you post a pic, a sketch, the Piper drawing with some scribbles indicating this mystery plug of which you speak?
    Uncertain what you are talking about.

Best,
    GG
    Glen Geller
    1955 PA22-150 "One For Papa!"

Post Thanks / Like

Oleo.jpg
    The Plug looks like a little piston and its wrist pin would be the bolt that holds the chrome tube to the aluminum block. It's top faces up and has an O-ring instead of a piston ring.
    I sure haven't yet figured out what keeps the pressure back but I am pretty sure it is not the o-ring in the plug because mine was old, hard and flat on one side so it would have failed my bubble test a few days ago and it is still holding strong.
    The drawing must be deceiving. A good cut away pic would be nice. Anyway, the plug must be there to keep it from getting packed with dirt/corn stalks...er whatever the farmer has in that field.

Post Thanks / Like

Just a follow up on all this. The plane has sat in one spot, never moved since install, for 22 days. I found that the strut had dripped oil onto the tire. The oil did not come over the block the fork attaches to it dripped straight down from the center of the tube. I want to say that there must have been a film of oil inside the tube that finally worked its way down to the bottom because that old o-ring is so beat up it wouldnt hold back nuthin.
    I was actually looking for a recent thread about nosewheel bearings because it would be a good place for me to offer a cheap upper bearing for those in need. I bought 5 for less than the price some people charge for one. Paid full for the lower, ouch!
    B545DD lower bearing for the low price of $15.00 you pay shipping. (53 gram bearing wrapped in 100 grams of paper, ha.)