Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 37

Thread: Trim Indicator Support Panel

  1. #21
    Administrator Steve Pierce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Graham, Texas, United States
    Posts
    13,817
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Trim Indicator Support Panel

    Quote Originally Posted by CTJER View Post
    The battle continues. All part of a flying project I guess. Now I need the trim indicator tension spring. The one Univar provides, and they state the only one of the 42891 series they have, is not correct. Too short by a half inch or more and not the correct end configuration. Anyone have a source?
    Jerry
    As compared to?

  2. #22
    CTJER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Rockford, IL
    Posts
    170
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Trim Indicator Support Panel

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    As compared to?
    Steve,
    Not sure what you are asking. The original spring, which was severely corroded, is at least a half inch longer then the Univair spring and appears to have a loop at the indicator connection and a hook at the crank end. Also slightly larger in OD. Also the ends are in the same plane; not random alignment.

    I'm following up with Century Springs now.

    Jerry

  3. #23
    Administrator Steve Pierce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Graham, Texas, United States
    Posts
    13,817
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Trim Indicator Support Panel

    So you are comparing your old spring to Univair's spring? I don't think it is a big deal. It keeps tension on the wire as the jackscrew yoke goes up and down. Univair's is approved and the proper spring.

  4. #24
    Gilbert Pierce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Germantown, Tennessee 01TN
    Posts
    3,842
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Trim Indicator Support Panel

    The old spring may have come from a hardware store. No telling what is in some of these 60 to 70 year old airplanes.

  5. #25

    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    CGX
    Posts
    437
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Trim Indicator Support Panel

    This is my spring, a little tiny weak spring, works great. Does not take a strong spring to work, just enough to stretch as the jackscrew moves the trim yoke up and down
    Attached Images Attached Images

  6. #26
    CTJER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Rockford, IL
    Posts
    170
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Trim Indicator Support Panel

    Quote Originally Posted by PA-16 View Post
    This is my spring, a little tiny weak spring, works great. Does not take a strong spring to work, just enough to stretch as the jackscrew moves the trim yoke up and down
    I have two of the Univair springs. Will try to install as is. Suspect, however, that the end that goes under the pullys will have to tweaked to a hook type end. Will advise when I get the headlining down and go after replacing the trim indicator cable and what ever else needs attention. To Gilbert's point, I've found a lot of creative work by previous owners.

    Jerry

  7. #27
    CTJER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Rockford, IL
    Posts
    170
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Trim Indicator Support Panel

    Quote Originally Posted by CTJER View Post
    I have two of the Univair springs. Will try to install as is. Suspect, however, that the end that goes under the pullys will have to tweaked to a hook type end. Will advise when I get the headlining down and go after replacing the trim indicator cable and what ever else needs attention. To Gilbert's point, I've found a lot of creative work by previous owners.

    Jerry
    I have the headlining about half pulled down. Clearly not original. Very heavy faux leather or something like that. A foot long cut with a new utility knlfe dulls the blade enough to require replacement. I've found the bows safety wired to the structure. I'm thinking of not reinstalling the dome light and speaker including the plywood panel. Any thoughts?

    Jerry

  8. #28
    J Ryd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    281
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Trim Indicator Support Panel

    I pulled my Speaker out. Pointless additional weight. If you do, remember to swing the compass again. I left the dome light thinking that I'd put a real light in its place sometime. Probably wont though. I really want to do a skylight.

    Jan
    ​Jan
    1960 PA22-150 "Spud"

  9. #29
    ysifly2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Poplar Grove, IL
    Posts
    411
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Trim Indicator Support Panel

    I left out speaker and have not yet reinstalled light. I did leave the plywood support panel.
    Two of the headliner support bows attach to the plywood panel. You would have to make new single piece bows if you leave out. At least on TriPacer maybe Colt is different in that regard

    Bryan


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ysifly2; 09-18-2021 at 02:07 PM.

  10. #30
    CTJER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Rockford, IL
    Posts
    170
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Trim Indicator Support Panel

    Quote Originally Posted by ysifly2 View Post
    I left out speaker and have not yet reinstalled light. I did leave the plywood support panel.
    Two of the headliner support bows attach to the plywood panel. You would have to make new single piece bows if you leave out. At least on TriPacer maybe Colt is different in that regard

    Bryan


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Just got that far. You are correct. Looks like the plywood stays. Did you find any need for safety wire; bow to structure?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •