Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: N1945P restoration

Post Thanks / Like

Default N1945P restoration

Hi all, well it time to tare down my Tri Pacer N1945P we call it "the Pickle". Now I know some of you are going to look at the pictures and say what are you doing that looks great or that will be fine just fly it!

So a little back story my wife an I bought the plane about a year ago from a friend that lent the plane to me to finnish my license in. Loved it so much I bought it, there was a recover/restoration done on the fuse in 08 but they never touched the wings and how they went about the restoration you can tell they took short cuts. So after finding the 5th thing on the plane that would have killed me in flight we are done and its getting restored.

Hope you all enjoy and i will be asking you questions. This is airplane number two for me in recovering nuber 15 for my father.20201101_101101.jpeg

Sent from my SM-N960U using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: N1945P restoration

Look forward to following your journey.

Post Thanks / Like

Keep the pics coming! Curious as to the types of things you were finding that could have killed you? Give us a heads up on potential issues others may have.

Post Thanks / Like

For starters this fuel line20201030_141500.jpeg

Sent from my SM-N960U using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Damn, that's a big one. I am not fond of running electrical wires on fuel lines either. Buddy lost a very nice boat due to the shop installing a bilge pump in it and zipping the lines to the fuel line and installing WAY to large of a fuse.

Glad you found that one before it got ya!

Post Thanks / Like

Chafing parts is a bad thing. I have seen brake lines chafed the same way. When I was wrenching for Uncle Sam we had a flight control cable rub through the insulation on a wire. The electricity cut the cable. The cut was so clean the initial response was someone deliberately cut the cable but a look through a magnifying glass showed it was actually burned. The wire didn’t show any signs of damage except a shiny spot where the cable was rubbing it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

That is a control cable chafing on a fuel line. I have seen the hand brake cable chafe the fuel line under the instrument panel several times.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    That is a control cable chafing on a fuel line. I have seen the hand brake cable chafe the fuel line under the instrument panel several times.
    I was working on my '55 Tri-Pacer last week replacing about 20 YARDS of crap wiring and looked at the clearance of the brake cable and the fuel crossover, for that very reason. All was good.
    I also looked at where the aileron cable passes over the pully on the left side of fuselage just behind the panel and breaker panel, and below the left windshield post, if the various wires and antenna coax are not tied up well they can get involved with that aileron cable.
    Some years ago our IA found the rudder cables on both sides of the baggage compartment were sawing thru the aluminum cover panels, we repaired/reinforced the shields, inspected the cables, and moved the PK screws ~1/2" away from the cables so the covers were more properly aligned clear of the moving cables inside them.

A lot of bits can get bent, banged, dented and smushed over six or seven decades...

Cheers,
    GG
    Glen Geller
    1955 PA22-150 "One For Papa!"

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the help guys I will try to get more picks up. Right now I’m getting the wings ready to come off on Friday and should have the AirTech covering on Saturday so should be able to tack all the tail surfaces next week then on the the wings!

Post Thanks / Like

Well I have been meaning to put up some more pictures for you this is what I had going on yesterday. Found that the right fuel tank wasn't bolted in and I think they used and over sized bolt for the top pulley on the aileron control that was sticking through the fabric and is ready to poke through he headliner.

I have deiced to go with AirTech for the fabric and should have the supplies by Sunday!
    Attached Images Attached Images