Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: N1945P restoration

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: N1945P restoration

That tank bay rod is scary, that doesn't hold the tank in it keeps the wing spars square in the fuel tank bay. Someone did not pay much attention when they installed that bolt.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    That tank bay rod is scary, that doesn't hold the tank in it keeps the wing spars square in the fuel tank bay. Someone did not pay much attention when they installed that bolt.
    You think that's bad... Current shop project the wings were dropped off with tanks installed and "ready to be installed onto the airplane"... The tank bay rods were completely missing.. As in NOT THERE.. We made two new ones based off the drawings.

Brian.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    Yeah....but.....it was really, really close.
    “Seek advice but use your own common sense.”
    ― Yiddish Proverb

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stevesaircraft(Bri) View Post
    You think that's bad... Current shop project the wings were dropped off with tanks installed and "ready to be installed onto the airplane"... The tank bay rods were completely missing.. As in NOT THERE.. We made two new ones based off the drawings.

Brian.
    I would assume they hadn’t bothered to trammel the wings either.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gilbert Pierce View Post
    I would assume they hadn’t bothered to trammel the wings either.
    Actually thought of that and double checked it.. Fortunately they were square.

Brian.

Post Thanks / Like

The spar web at the root is also damaged, don’t know if there is a legal repair for that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NV Hunter View Post
    Well I have been meaning to put up some more pictures for you this is what I had going on yesterday. Found that the right fuel tank wasn't bolted in and I think they used and over sized bolt for the top pulley on the aileron control that was sticking through the fabric and is ready to poke through he headliner.

I have deiced to go with AirTech for the fabric and should have the supplies by Sunday!

Hunter,
    I had that aft diagonal rod tab break off only I didn't know it. I took off and was holding almost 15 degrees of aileron yoke to keep her level as soon as I was off the water. I knew something was wrong so a made a wide turn, first asking myself which way should I, then I landed safely.

Wasn't sure what the issue but had one old wing on her and was planing to rebuild it. It was during teardown that my minion found the bracket had broken. Half was a rusty crack and the last third was fairly fresh. Thinking someone got ham fisted with it some time in the past?

I don't recall exactly but think I was looking for something and there was a flex in the wing that wasn't normal. It wasn't that long ago... Think I posted a photo or two here on the SWP.

My favorite missed bolt was the top of a h stab Jack screw on a C180 that had just come out of annual in a popular shop at lake hood. There were more then a handful of issues with the bird when he brought her out west to start loosing money with his freshly printed 135 cert. I was just doing my thing, think I was rerigging the rudder for full throw, when I looked and noted something odd. The bolt was in the hole in the top of the screw but not in the bracket riveted to the stabilizer. This was getting into kill you territory for sure, lucky there are two of them.

Anyway, good eyes! Wires tied to fuel lines is just plain stupid, while it wasn't an FAA test question it was tought to be verboten in A&P school. I've found plenty of stupid over the years, cable sawing just about everything including fuel lines. Super cub flap cables seem to cause the most issues and I have found all manor of fun behind the left interior panel. I left a bucking bar in the belly of a spam can early in my career that caused me to open my eyes and pay more attention particularly after another A&P decided to show it to my PMI. Fun times

Rocket

ps. It's Stewart systems for fabric or nothing but that's another thread

Post Thanks / Like

Here's the update.

The rib stitching is wrong and found out in the process of pulling off the fabric that it was never glued down! Fun times....

Wings are off now have the tail-surfaces ready for fabric still working on the ailerons and flaps. After pulling the fabric off there is only one area on the right flap that I will need to repair. Do any of you have an tips for preparing the hinge points on the flaps and ailerons for paint? Didn't want to pull them apart just to get the old paint out; thoughts?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Its funny Rocket the yoke in the plane always had a tilt to the right when you let go even after you brought everything back to neutral on the ground it would turn the yoke to the right. I'm wondering if that was because of this rod in the right wing not being attached??

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The rib stitching is wrong and found out in the process of pulling off the fabric that it was never glued down!
    From the picture it just looks like they didn't hide the knot and ran the cord over the rib to the next knot instead of under the fabric. Was there something else? Also, how was the fabric held on if not glued?