Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thread: PA22 top of instrument panel cover

Post Thanks / Like

Default PA22 top of instrument panel cover

Hello Everyone

First time poster. I recently purchased a PA22 in August. The airplane came with a cover on top of the instrument panel (like a dash cover for a car). Honestly, it looks like someone had some left over carpet, crudely cut a shape, and wedged it between the glare shield and the windshield / interior panels. While I was vacuuming the airplane I noticed it was coming apart. I managed to get it off the paneling, but parts of the backing foam have fused to the metal panel. The panel looks rather rough, and I am wondering if someone makes such a thing, or if this is a one off done by a previous owner. If someone does make them can you direct me where to go. I have done a fair bit of searching and haven't come up with anything.

Thanks in advance

Chris

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: PA22 top of instrument panel cover

Here's someone who made one out of carbon fiber. People had asked about making them for others but I'm not sure if that led anywhere.

https://www.shortwingpipers.org/forum/showthread.php?13513-Carbon-Fiber-Glare-Shield&highlight=fibergl

Searching for "glare shield" or "glareshield" might provide better results.
    Last edited by smcnutt; 11-04-2020 at 10:18 AM.
    “Seek advice but use your own common sense.”
    ― Yiddish Proverb

Post Thanks / Like

Thanx! That's about the only thing I'm finding. This and a thread about forming aluminum.

Post Thanks / Like

When I searched for 'glareshield' I saw several others. This one looked interesting: https://www.shortwingpipers.org/foru...ht=Glareshield
    “Seek advice but use your own common sense.”
    ― Yiddish Proverb

Post Thanks / Like

It's pretty simple to strip what you have and recover it. Or use it for a pattern and make one all new.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Chris, welcome to the club!
    Note there are two versions of glareshields and instrument panels, depending on when your plane was built.
    Planes built in 1955 and older have the flat glareshield (radios on left side of panel.)
    Planes built in 1956 and newer have the humped glareshield (radios in center stack.)
    And there are a few custom panels out there that may be completely different/unique.

When asking what you need or how do I do this thing, include model, year, engine and any other pertinent info.
    You'll get a faster response for sure.

Enjoy your plane, they are lots of fun -- and post a few pictures please!

GG
    Glen Geller
    1955 PA22-150 "One For Papa!"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smcnutt View Post
    When I searched for 'glareshield' I saw several others. This one looked interesting: https://www.shortwingpipers.org/foru...ht=Glareshield
    I'm seeing the same things you are with the same searches it seems like you are doing. I'm not going to replace the existing glareshield at this point. just looking for a cover. I think I may have found something. I'm going to give them a call today and see what they say. FYI it's also called a 'cowl pad'

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by akflyer View Post
    It's pretty simple to strip what you have and recover it. Or use it for a pattern and make one all new.
    That's plan "B" If I can find one for a reasonable price I'd rather go that route.

Post Thanks / Like

I found it. Talked to a gentleman and it sounds like it will be cut specifically for the year of airplane. it's $40 and about a week for turnaround. I'll post my thoughts after I get it and install.

https://www.airtexinteriors.com/catalogue/misc.php
    Last edited by coehlers; 11-05-2020 at 09:39 AM. Reason: added link