Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: Vermont Clipper

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Vermont Clipper

Quote Originally Posted by Gilbert Pierce View Post
    PA-16, On a flight review several years ago the instructor asked me did I know you could enter a slip and then pull the nose full up and still have full control. No I didn't.
    I first entered an aggressive slip, then pulled full up elevator. We gently descended under full control gaining no airspeed. I now do this when I slip the Clipper.

Here is the log book entry: Did slip stall: Full slip-pulled nose up until stalled then aircraft just kept decending but nose high.

I have also stalled the Clipper but the entry was differnt. Full power off stall and then full rudder and opposite aileron.
    Wow, I'm going to get some extra altitude next time flying and give that a try Gilbert. The Luscombe didn't have flaps either and I relied on good slips for nearly 20 years in that sweet little airplane. I have practiced slips on the Clipper several times going into short grass strips and find I don't need them quite as much because it comes down pretty good power off anyway and doesn't float like the Silvaire. A friend CFI with many hours in Clippers and Pacers told me he routinely slips right into the flare then straightens. Haven't worked up the confidence to try that just yet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by VTClipper View Post
    A friend CFI with many hours in Clippers and Pacers told me he routinely slips right into the flare then straightens.
    That was my favorite thing to do with my Clipper.

As far as spinning a Clipper, took me a very abrupt cross control and she just rolled over on her back and dove. It took some doing.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, it ain't Alaska but the big old mountains of New Hampshire's Presidential range are beautiful and menacing. I've been thrown around pretty fierce on this run from Central VT to Central Maine but today was glassy dead smooth. The Clipper just hummed along and I got to actually relax and enjoy the views instead of dancing on the rudders and fighting the stick to keep on heading. On the ride back west we cruised at 6500 ft, 2400rpm (on the O-320) indicating just under the yellow arc, 175 deg on the oil temp, leaned till slight rpm drop then push it back in to smooth. Today I cleared 25 hours in the Clipper since the beginning of July. I love it more every time I fly it.

3FF3E845-2237-49D3-A150-D19FD4CF80A3.jpeg DC73E2F7-BDA9-48A3-8C49-9C0CD63E3C33.jpeg
    Last edited by VTClipper; 10-23-2022 at 09:09 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

You took away the upside down Lady.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrBill View Post
    You took away the upside down Lady.
    Uh...that was upside down me. Dunno why sometimes photos that are proper upside right in my photo library end up upside down here. And I'm just not smart enough to fix it.

Post Thanks / Like

This site usually fixes them automatic but it should because the site posts them upside down sometimes. Hey, hear the one about the upside down man that walked into a bar?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrBill View Post
    This site usually fixes them automatic but it should because the site posts them upside down sometimes. Hey, hear the one about the upside down man that walked into a bar?
    Ok...I'll bite. Nope

Post Thanks / Like

Me either I was just trying to play down my mistake. I couldn't find a picture I have of an old ugly hag that when turned upside down looks like a pretty young woman. Tell you the truth I am not wearing my glasses and I only caught a glimpse of that pic before you took it away. ..Oh, and I haven't had any for a couple of weeks, ha. just kidding.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Cathy and I came up for the WAD flyin many years ago and flew a Super Cub from New Hampshire up into Vermont this time of year. Was gorgeous.

Post Thanks / Like

Used to live in NH.
    Need to fly back.
    Let me know if there is a flyin.