Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best cruise prop for Ly-Con O320

Post Thanks / Like

Default Best cruise prop for Ly-Con O320

Hello short wingers,
    Charlie (N8973C) will be getting a tricked out Ly-Con O320, which they say should dyno in the 170hp range. We have plenty of takeoff performance as-is, and are on 8.5 tires.

What is the current best thinking on prop options, and the trade-offs they present?

Thanks,
    -J

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Best cruise prop for Ly-Con O320

Quote Originally Posted by jourdan View Post
    Hello short wingers,
    Charlie (N8973C) will be getting a tricked out Ly-Con O320, which they say should dyno in the 170hp range. We have plenty of takeoff performance as-is, and are on 8.5 tires.

What is the current best thinking on prop options, and the trade-offs they present?

Thanks,
    -J
    58” for climb, 61 for cruise. With 170 hp you might go up an inch. My 160 with a 58” climbs 1000 to 1500 FPS depending on load and OAT. Cruise at 75% power true’s out about 118. MPH. 61/62” will undoubtedly cruise faster. People on here will tell you anything between 125 mph up to MACH .80 at 7 Gph.
    Last edited by Gilbert Pierce; 11-16-2020 at 05:52 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

What airplane? What prop do you have now, McCauley or Sensenich? I would try it and pitch accordingly. Some previous threads on this site to do with prop pitch but with your LyCon engine they might be a bit shy in pitch. https://www.shortwingpipers.org/foru...th-160HP-Pacer

Google search
    what prop pitch site:shortwingpipers.org
    Last edited by Steve Pierce; 11-17-2020 at 07:29 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I had my 58 inch Sensenich overhauled last year and it flew quite nicely. Lower vibration. Very smooth. I wanted faster cruise speed for cross country flight so ordered a new 60 inch Sensenich. The difference in climb performance is almost imperceptible. In fact I cannot definitively say it made any difference. The difference in cruise speed performance is about 4 miles an hour faster. When I put the wheel pants on it adds another 2 miles an hour.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Subsonic View Post
    I had my 58 inch Sensenich overhauled last year and it flew quite nicely. Lower vibration. Very smooth. I wanted faster cruise speed for cross country flight so ordered a new 60 inch Sensenich. The difference in climb performance is almost imperceptible. In fact I cannot definitively say it made any difference. The difference in cruise speed performance is about 4 miles an hour faster. When I put the wheel pants on it adds another 2 miles an hour.
    I should have added that I have a '56 PA22-150 (with a nosewheel) and 75% power cruise speed went from 116 with the 74DM-058 to 120 mph with the 74DM-060, (122 mph with wheel pants); and climb rate loaded light is 1050 to 1100 fpm and heavy (near gross) is about 800 to 850 fpm.

Post Thanks / Like

There is a wide variation in prop numbers, and all dependent on condition, rig of the airplane, and engine condition. A prop with a recent overhaul will perform better than a similar pitch/diameter prop that has irregularities on the surface. Rigging of the airplane will also impact overall efficiency, flap rigging, aileron rigging and washout, cooling efficiency, fit and finish of fairings, gap seals and on and on. A prop matched to HP output will be better that one with to much pitch as the engine won’t turn up to sufficient hp for reasonable take off and climb.

Props are expensive, best to find friends with different pitch props and try them before you settle on what you want. As always, with fixed pitch props it is always a compromise. That’s why for my Clipper I have both a climb and a cruise prop. I’ll be able to swap based on my mission as needed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

This is an almost relevant question... Almost. With prop pitch changes what do you guys to determine what your static RPM should be during annual or conformity inspections? I believe the TCDS lists min and max static RPM with the prop that was listed in the TCDS. It seems like a small change in pitch say from 58" to 60" should change the static RPM. Further I think the paperwork for the O-320 does list a static RPM range but then again only with whatever prop is listed on the the STC. With Jourdan's shortwing (Charlie) getting another 20 HP I would think that would affect it even more. I realize looking at the low end of the range can be used as a day to day health indication to determine go, no-go but.... Am I thinking wrong?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Best cruise prop for Ly-Con O320

The OP’s airplane is a PA-22-135, so if he has an O-320 of some type installed it is by STC. Without knowing the STC, and the limits specified in it, it is unknown what prop models, diameters, and pitch ranges are eligible to be installed. It really doesn’t matter what Lycon or any other engine overhaul shop may claim for HP, the engine technically only produces the power output that it is rated at in the TCDS and data plate.

Last edited by dgapilot; 12-09-2020 at 07:29 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

If memory serves me correctly every inch on prop pitch will effect static rpm by 50 rpm.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    If memory serves me correctly every inch on prop pitch will effect static rpm by 50 rpm.
    I was looking for a source for that. I think it is likely hp dependent. A lower hp engine will have less change than a higher hp engine.

When I get my airplane back together, I’ll be able to get an idea as I have a new 76AM2-52 and a used 76AM2-48 for my O-235. Engine will be fresh overhaul. I’ll try both and see what the difference in static is with the 2 props with the same ambient conditions.