Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Uh-oh, while practicing emergency descents in my PA-22-150....

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Uh-oh, while practicing emergency descents in my PA-22-150....

We just recently got fuel here so I have been hauling gas in cans for a while. I don’t know that I have ever had a problem keeping my gas cans clean. The only one I ever see any dirt in is the can I use to carry diesel for the lawnmower but diesel is a dirt magnet. I keep the caps on when not in use and don’t let crud build up on the outside. I also look in them now and then. I would either haul from another airport or syphon from an airplane I took to another airport to get fuel. I still use the cans for the Cub because I don’t want to prop it for that short of a taxi and I don’t have a way to tow it.
    "Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement." - Fred Brooks

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Uh-oh, while practicing emergency descents in my PA-22-150....

Using the filter funnel is cheap insurance not only for dirt/debris but water as well. It only takes one instance to cause a problem. Do you sump your tanks every time? I do, even though I've only had a problem once. I apply the same reasoning here with the funnel when using fuel cans.

Besides that funnel is a bigger target to pour the gas into than going directly into the filler neck of the tank.
    “Seek advice but use your own common sense.”
    ― Yiddish Proverb