Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PA-22/20-150 weight and balance questions

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: PA-22/20-150 weight and balance questions

I get the airplane level with a wing jack on the tail spring bolt and drop my plumb bobs and mark the floor. Then I measure the arms and then I set up my scales and weigh. the reason I do this is I have found to many discrepancies in lengths, mainly in Super Cub, because of the different lengths in tail springs, tail wheels, even the fuselages stretched 9/16" when they started TIG welding them in 1970. Gives me a good base line. At the end of the day it probably doesn't matter what the paper says, hard to get a Pacer out of CG.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LarryV View Post
    It has three separate data plates, two on the cabin floor in front of the passenger seat and one on the tail.

One of them is for a PA-22-160, the other is for a PA-22/20, and the third is for a PA-20. All have the same serial number.

It's in the FAA registry now as a PA-20. That might not be how it is done now, but it's apparently how it was done on this one in 1994 when the conversion was done.

(For what it's worth, conversions of 7 series Champs and Citabrias (7AC or 7FC to 7EC, etc, or 7ECA to 7GCAA, etc) are also very inconsistent in the registry in terms of how the model number and even serial number prefixes are recorded. I don't know if that reflects policy, procedure and practice changes over time for the FAA registry branch as a whole, or just differing practices in different district offices, different staff practices at different times or in different offices, or just defaulting to however the owner or AP/IA chose to report it.)

However, the flight manual supplement for Univair's STC SA45RM includes various CG limits and max weights for:
    PA-22;
    PA-22-135;
    PA-22-150 and PA-22-160; and
    PA-22-108.

That will take precedence over whatever data plate was last installed.
    Sounds like someone really screwed up your airplane as it relates to the various data plates and the FAA registration. First off, there is no such thing as a PA-22/20, you won’t find that designation on any TCDS! You have a PA-22-160! It definitely is not a PA-20 as the PA-20 has an O-290, Les’s ribs in the wings, and slower Vne. I would suggest getting this figured out. If I were doing an annual on it, it wouldn’t pass. Start by getting the FAA records to see what it actually shows. Look at your airworthiness certificate. If it is an 8100-2, what model does it have (the old 1362 airworthiness certificates didn’t have Model.)? You will likely need to hire a DAR to help get your paperwork fixed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I agree he needs to see what the FAA has on file but wouldn’t the serial number offer a clue? As far as I know the PA20 serial is 20-xxx and PA22 is 22-xxx. The frame number could be researched to to see what it was assigned to out of the factory too.
    Last edited by Jeff J; 11-19-2020 at 12:36 PM.
    "Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement." - Fred Brooks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff J View Post
    I agree he needs to see what the FAA has on file but wouldn’t the serial number offer a clue? As far as I know the PA20 serial is 20-xxx and PA22 is 22-xxx. The frame number could be researched to to see what it was assigned to out of the factory too.
    He said it started out as a PA-22-160 and does have a PA-22-160 data plate somewhere. I suspect someone added another data plate next to the original on the floor that says PA-22/20. I have no idea if the STC calls for that or not. I also suspect the one on the tail to satisfy 45.11 (the DEA placard) is the one that says PA-20. How the registration got screwed up is anyone’s guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk