Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Response from FAA concerning AD 74-17-04

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Response from FAA concerning AD 74-17-04

I don't see fabric as being difficult. I learned cotton when I was in school. Little in common with modern processes. The covering manuals are great and cover every aspect and then there is YouTube which is amazing.

Post Thanks / Like

What Steve said. I learned to cover reading the Poly Fiber manual. Then picked up tips from experienced fabric people who had done more than I had like Steve’s daughter.
    Last edited by Gilbert Pierce; 11-22-2020 at 10:31 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Agree with LarryV and dgapilot on the lack of oldtimers for knowlage and poor quality covering.
    As well Steve and Gilbert are correct about the instruction manuals.
    The thing about the manuals is the person taking on the job needs to become intimately familiar with the book
    and work accordingly. My airplane was "put together" in 1985 with very little documentation and description
    on the fabric covering. When Brian removed the wings and stripped them down it was embarrassing to see
    what went on when they put the wings together after the fabric was removed. On the other hand it is a
    testament how well and how long the airplane flew with the issues we discovered.
    "Progress is our most important problem"