Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: PK screws on fabric under the tanks?

Post Thanks / Like

Default PK screws on fabric under the tanks?

The fabric came loose on my right wing on the first rib under the fuel tank. I looked at drawing 14407 (wing assembly) and figure 7 showing the use of PK screws to attach fabric. However, I am not 100% sure if figure 7 refers to the ribs under the fuel tank. Are PK screws used under the fuel tanks, or are they rib stitched? If PK screws are used, what size are they and do I need to use a washer as well?

Juergen
    Pacer N3342Z

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: PK screws on fabric under the tanks?

I just looked at drawing 14413 Wing assembly covered. Section K-K shows rib stitching on the ribs under the fuel tanks. Interestingly, the drawing shows the knot on the outside of the wing between the wing fabric and the pinked tape. That looks odd to me, why not pulling the knot inside of the wing? Any advise?

Juergen
    Pacer N3342Z

Post Thanks / Like

Juergen, think about the date on the drawing, back then the knot and cord between the stitches was outside and ran alongside the reinforcing tapes. When we got the curved tip needles we started pulling the knots to the inside and running the cord inside rather than outside. I would pull the knot inside and keep it as clean looking as possible today.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wag-builder View Post
    Juergen, think about the date on the drawing, back then the knot and cord between the stitches was outside and ran alongside the reinforcing tapes. When we got the curved tip needles we started pulling the knots to the inside and running the cord inside rather than outside. I would pull the knot inside and keep it as clean looking as possible today.

Steve
    I didn't know that "in the old days" the knots and cords were running outside. I learned something new today. I need to get this repair done in the next couple of days before it gets too cold.

Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving,

Juergen
    Pacer N3342Z