Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Homebuilt ideas

Post Thanks / Like

Default Homebuilt ideas

A couple of us here have decided we would like to build an off airport machine. We all agree building a Super Cub would be a great way to go except for cockpit entry. One of the guys has a bad knee and has been spoiled by his Cardinal. It is easier to get in and out of than most cars. He keeps thinking about getting into my L4 but hasnít actually attempted it. Another has a bad back and wonít attempt entry into my L4. Does anyone know of a compromise for an off airport airplane that a person doesnít need to be a healthy athlete to get in and out of?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Homebuilt ideas

Breezy on bush wheels.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Other than a Breezy.

Put the Trimmer left door in a Pacer, big tires and prop, cut weight. It'll keep up with most SC's.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

I always thought something like a Aeronca champ Fuslage with t-craft wings , a gear like a just airplane to get the aoa and good for rough ground. A hopped up 0200 to keep it light. The champs are easy the get in and out of and the visibility is good. Maybe some day.

Sent from my iPhone using ShortWingPipers.Org

Post Thanks / Like

I actually suggested a Bushmaster. Convert it to sticks and a left handed throttle and I would be a happy camper. The one guy is pretty tall. No way he could have comfortably flown my PA20 but seats and panels can be adjusted during the build.

I am probably the only one locally who would think the Breezy would be fun to fly although I do prefer taildraggers.

Post Thanks / Like

Correct me if I am wrong, but the wing struts and landing gear are in the way of entry and causing the problem? If that is the case look at the way the Kitfox struts are attached behind the cabin door (because of the folding wing) and see if that clears the entry. If you are going experimental you can move things like the struts. Before everyone goes totally crazy, you need to get an engineer involved at make sure that load path is correct and the structure will handle those loads. Don't just move the strut and think everything will be ok. Clearly there are airplanes like the Kitfox already out there and the design work has already been done for you.

Post Thanks / Like

I prefer to use a proven design. If there is a proven design they can use then that is the way we will go if money allows.

Hopped up Champ isn’t a bad idea and it makes me wonder about Stinsons. They are roomy and easy to fly but I don’t think I have heard of anyone using one in the bush.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff J View Post
    I actually suggested a Bushmaster. Convert it to sticks and a left handed throttle and I would be a happy camper. The one guy is pretty tall. No way he could have comfortably flown my PA20 but seats and panels can be adjusted during the build.

I am probably the only one locally who would think the Breezy would be fun to fly although I do prefer taildraggers.
    I'm 6'4" and fit fine in my Bushmaster/Super Pacer. The skylight helps with headroom. Not sure why people care about right or left hand throttle. Adapting takes 2 minutes.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

This looks big inside, not rag I dont think, but soposed to be a bush plane. Dont look hard to get in
    Darn big plane, Ive never heard a one before

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by PA-16; 11-27-2020 at 01:13 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
    I'm 6'4" and fit fine in my Bushmaster/Super Pacer. The skylight helps with headroom. Not sure why people care about right or left hand throttle. Adapting takes 2 minutes.
    I can easily fly throttle on either side. Left is just a preference because I am right handed and am more comfortable with my dominate hand on the flight controls. Not to mention less than 25% of my total time is with a right hand throttle. The most challenging thing I fly these days is the Thorp and it has a right hand throttle. No brakes on the right side but I do a fly a 172 or 150 from the right seat just because I like it better. It just a preference, nothing more. I feel like I am entitled to have a preference. Don’t you have any preferences?