Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Homebuilt ideas

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Homebuilt ideas

If they can't get in an airplane how are they going to build one?

Post Thanks / Like

I expect most of the actual building will fall to me with them helping with things that cannot be done alone. May not happen at all. Right now it is just talk.

I flew one summer with a fractured hip. I had to use a ladder and have help to get in and out but I flew. I did not do much maintenance that year because it hurt too much to stand without the pain killers but couldn’t fly if I took them.
    Last edited by Jeff J; 11-27-2020 at 11:20 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff J View Post
    I can easily fly throttle on either side. Left is just a preference because I am right handed and am more comfortable with my dominate hand on the flight controls. Not to mention less than 25% of my total time is with a right hand throttle. The most challenging thing I fly these days is the Thorp and it has a right hand throttle. No brakes on the right side but I do a fly a 172 or 150 from the right seat just because I like it better. It just a preference, nothing more. I feel like I am entitled to have a preference. Don’t you have any preferences?
    We all have preferences and we're entitled. I fly Cubs with my right hand and my Pacer (it has sticks) with my left, In this I have no preference. I've wondered why people choose to fly right seat when all the flight instruments are on the left. Just curious.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

Very important to have instruments in plain sight for flight into IMC and helpful if practicing maneuvers or flying in controlled airspace but I don’t see where it makes a difference for a day VFR joyride. The instruments I want to see on a VFR joyride are generally located on the right side of the panel. Specifically, the ones pertaining to engine health. The Vagabond I flew from the right seat (owner was in the left) wasn’t overly convenient to land because the throttle is on the far left. Even so, my only Vagabond landing to date is a wheel landing from the right seat. I wasn’t going to turn down the opportunity because I wasn’t sitting in the left seat.

I don’t know why people make a fuss about flying from the right seat. Instructors do it all the time and its not like it’s a special skill.

I recently came across pictures of a Thorp that is set up to fly from the right seat. All flight instruments are on the right side. I doubt I’d ever take my preference that far but I like the idea.

Post Thanks / Like

I like to fly in the middle, nice wide rudder pedals in the Clipper, just use the outside pedals.. if it wasnt for that bar going up the between the seats. Right hand on throttle and left hand on passenger stick. I think maybe I will reposition my throttle from the middle of the panel off to just left of center of left seat.
    Last edited by PA-16; 11-27-2020 at 02:45 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff J View Post
    I wasn’t going to turn down the opportunity because I wasn’t sitting in the left seat.

I don’t know why people make a fuss about flying from the right seat. Instructors do it all the time and its not like it’s a special skill.

I recently came across pictures of a Thorp that is set up to fly from the right seat. All flight instruments are on the right side. I doubt I’d ever take my preference that far but I like the idea.
    My previous owner ( from a little further into New England ) said he used to fly the Clipper from the right seat because the heat outlet is on that side...
    Donn
    1949 Clipper PA-16 O-235

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by blue44 View Post
    My previous owner ( from a little further into New England ) said he used to fly the Clipper from the right seat because the heat outlet is on that side...
    Best answer yet.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

I'm with Steve on this one...must be more talk than real intent. Hangar flying talk I think. If it were me, and it's not, I'd get my knee replaced by a good surgeon and start a regimented PT exercise program, and learn to get in and out of the airplane of my choice without modifying it much more than a grab handle or hanging loop and/or better placed step(s), etc. Sometimes small holds, steps or other aids can ease entry and egress from otherwise challenging and tight cockpits. Ask the Gemini and Apollo astronauts how much engineering went into their entry and egress ergonomic holds and foot placements...Else, hire a helicopter pilot to take you where you want to go off airport.

Post Thanks / Like

Had a wellness physical today; the Doc asked if I was still flying. My response was yes, it keeps me limber and agile climbing into and out of a Clipper around and over the sticks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gilbert Pierce View Post
    Had a wellness physical today; the Doc asked if I was still flying. My response was yes, it keeps me limber and agile climbing into and out of a Clipper around and over the sticks.
    I betcha that's right!!!!