Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Homebuilt ideas

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Homebuilt ideas

Quote Originally Posted by Gilbert Pierce View Post
    Had a wellness physical today; the Doc asked if I was still flying. My response was yes, it keeps me limber and agile climbing into and out of a Clipper around and over the sticks.
    I guess I don’t get a checkup this year. I just realized I haven’t heard anything anyway and I usually get a notice that I have an appointment no later than early November. I have more trouble getting in and out of a Cessna 150 than a J3, including the rare occasions I fly from the front seat. The 152 I learned in didn’t seem so tight about 30 years and 50 pounds ago. The Thorp is easy... just step in and sit down.

Anyway, the nice thing about hangar talk is it is required to start the ball rolling. They approached me and I am game to have another airplane to fly. Especially one I don’t have to shoulder the entire burden of owning. I will probably sell 2 airplanes in the next year so I need something to fill the empty hangar space

The Tundra looks like a good option. I was surfing the Bearhawk site the other day and they have some nice options.

Post Thanks / Like

It’s a nose wheel airplane but the Zenith 750 STOL will get off the ground as quick as any thing and it is easy to get in and out of.

Post Thanks / Like

I was looking at the Zenith 750 before I had the chance of buying my Colt. I looked at it in Oshkosh and one of the good points was the ease of entry and exit, especially with the center stick.

Post Thanks / Like

I have flown the Zenith 750 STOL at the factory and I am building a Zenith Cruzer. Zenith plane are well built and go together quickly! When I purchased my kit, I had the wings, fuselage and tail components built in 4 months. The Zenith 750 is about 1/5 the price of a Super Cub and will be off the ground in 1/3 the runway required to get airborne in the Cub! (slight exaggeration but I have a friend with the Super Cub and the Zenith will outperform it.) Additionally, ingress and egress in a Zenith is simply sit down, swing in and FLY!

Ken Stapleton
    Nocona Hills Airpark, Tx.
    Last edited by cacctus; 03-15-2021 at 01:11 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

If you want something easy to get in, then don’t get a Pietenpol.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Theo View Post
    If you want something easy to get in, then don’t get a Pietenpol.
    Absolutely! I built one when I was in my 20's...even then, I could only get in the front cockpit head first...