Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GN-1 Aircamper.

Post Thanks / Like

Default GN-1 Aircamper.

O-200 with push button start and 16 Gal front tank. It is a bit heavier than most Aircampers at 790, but many Piets and GN-1s are on the very back edge of the W&B envelope with a normal size pilot, but this one is right in the middle. Only issue so far are the rudder pedels where a stretch so I added about 1.5 inches to the back cushion, and it doesn't want to warm up. I warmed it up for 25 minutes yesterday and the oil temperature gauge never got over 90. That is leading me to think that the either the temperature gauge or probe has a problem. I am going to warm it up tommorrow and then extend a meat thermometer into the oil sump and check the oil temperature that way ( Don't tell my wife).
    GN-1 2.jpgGN-1.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: GN-1 Aircamper.

Interesting, but are you on the correct site? Or did you adopt us?

Post Thanks / Like

Well, This portion of the forum IS called " My other airplane is...." and quite a number of guys have posted descriptions and pictures of the other airplanes that they fly or own. Such as an L-4, a Gruman Widgeon, a Hyperbipe, Culver Dart and a few others. There is even a Cessna 175.

I also have a 56 PA22-150

Theo

Post Thanks / Like

It is a nice looking plane, did you build it? Tell us more about your plane, how many hours if any, all of that kind of stuff.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like

Steve,
    No I didn't build it. It has about 200 hours on it. Built in 2015. It is all wood construction, with a Maule tail wheel and disc heel brakes which have very little movement. It only takes about 1/8 inch of travel to go to maximum braking. The O-200 has a starter but no Alternator/ Generator. It starts off of the Odyssey J16 battery which also runs the hand held radio and instruments. There is an aluminum plate mounted inside the fuselage right behind the pilots seat and the antenna sits on top of that. Reception is very good but I haven't tested transmit. After each flight I hook it to the trickle charger and the battery tops off in about an hour or or so. The battery will provide 5 or 6 starts and run the radio for several hours. The engine will run up to 2500 in a static test and actually a little bit more with the Cowls off. The top and bottom cowls attach like on a cub so it is a lot faster to get into the engine than on the Tri-Pacer. I did tail wheel training in an Aeronca where I sat in the front seat and it had great vision to the front even on the ground. The GN-1 is soloed from the back and the nose is really long, so some S turning is required to see directly in front. But I am sure that a lot of you guys know all about that. I plan on flying it to either 1TE4 or KAQO this weekend depending on which has the best winds. They both have nice wide 3000ft grass fields to practice up on landings. My home airfield 34TS is a narrow 45 ft with trees on one side and a cliff on the other. So the wind can get squirrelly right at the top of the trees.

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats! That'll be a whole lotta fun. Keep this thread updated as you get to know the airplane. I've had a good time flying my dad's Piet. And it makes the Pacer seem like a real deal load haulin cross country trav'lin machine

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have flown a couple of Aircampers with varying engines, lots of fun.

Post Thanks / Like

Do you keep the Piet at 34TS I leave 2 miles from there and would like to check it out one day my Grandfather built one in the thirties.

Post Thanks / Like

My other project!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rust177 View Post
    Do you keep the Piet at 34TS I leave 2 miles from there and would like to check it out one day my Grandfather built one in the thirties.
    Yes I keep it there. Maybe we can set something up.