Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Possible Wag A Bond build

Post Thanks / Like

Default Possible Wag A Bond build

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I have a chance for a nearly free Vagabond fuselage and lots of parts. It has been hanging from the rafters of a Texas hanger for 20+ years. No logs. I have the plans from Wag Aero for the Wag A Bond Traveler. I have a Colt that I fly now that has been converted to tailwheel and has a 160hp engine. Love the flying, hate the landing.

Goals for this plane... STOLish performance, slower stall 40-45mph would be great. Meet the criteria for current light sport, but have the ability if/when the new rules are published around 2023 to increase gross. Cruise 115-120mph.

From a quick comparison of the dimensions the Wagabond is close in size to the Colt. I would love to build the Wagabond but use Pacer style wings with some of the STC mods incorporated (extended alerions/flaps, squared off tip). Also incorporate the stretch like the Producer and possibly 3x3 or 2x2 extended gear like Carbon Cub offers.

Still unsure of the ability to definitely reach the 51% if using some "certificated parts"

For those that have done this, or parts of it please give a link to your build thread/log if available.

Thoughts??

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Possible Wag A Bond build

Get plans for the Way Aero 2+2 for your stretch. Lengthen you wings. Make your own struts, copy the Murphy Rebel which is similar to the new Airframes SC strut. It is strong and much easier to make. Making your own wings should go a long way to meeting the 51% rule. Keep it light. You and will land like a Cub and stall under 40 mph. Cruising speeds above 115 mph will depend on your prop, rpm setting and drag. I can fly 110 mph in my stretched Super Pacer if I want to run the rpm at 2450. But, I mostly run it at 2300.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info. Still researching, reading. I need to get the fuselage down and inventory what is there. Owner thought that all the ribs and fixtures were there as well as several sets of tail feathers. I am liking the idea of a side by side SC type airplane. I should mention my other plane is a 46 Taylorcraft with an A65. Love the plane. Just want something that can do some backwoods flying, maybe sandbar hopping on local rivers. And more importantly want to be able to do all my own work/inspections. Have an A&P I work with now for owner assisted annuals, however he is getting older and won't be around forever.

Stephen, what is the link to your build log? Have read a bunch of your posts and your specs seem to be in-line with my goals.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, don't have a build log. Most of my Bushmaster/Super Pacer build is posted here on this site. This winter I will be converting to the Trimmer SC gear.

If I were to do another plane it would be an stretched Vag. Light weight, big tires, Catto prop, HP.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen View Post

If I were to do another plane it would be an stretched Vag. Light weight, big tires, Catto prop, HP.
    Ive got a Vag you can stretch.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gilbert Pierce View Post
    Ive got a Vag you can stretch.
    Thanks Gilbert.....you did see the "IF" in my statement.

Actually, I think Vags and Clippers are classics and should be preserved. Find or build a Wagon.